Help first duck

kent318

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 27, 2009
Hi I just wan't to say thanks this forum is a great welth of knowledg for some one with questions about raising poultry.
Anyway here goes,my nieghbor got a duck from her grandfather who bought him but could not care for him.He is a butiful little mallard.My question is my duck is starting to get older and get his feathers mostly they are in but his wings are still small.I have 5 chickens and 1 rooster.I want to know now that it is getting colder here in Indiana at what age can the duck go outside with my chickens or will he still get cold and can 1 duck and 5 chickens and a rooster get along and live together in the same coop?If not I'm afraid I will have to get rid of my duck but I'd rather keep him we have kinda grown attached to the little guy.

For the most part I would think that he can go outside now. If he has most of his adult feathers he should be fine outside. If you are a little hesitant just keep him in on cold/wet days.
They should get along fine. I house ducks and chickens together without any problems. The ducks do their things and the chickens do theirs.

well I'll try letting him out with the girls tommorrow and see how he does.thanks for the tips.

Keep a close eye on him. Unlike some of the others here, my chickens ultimately tried to kill my lone duck (even though she was hatched and raised by one of them). We found her bloodied and barely moving and one day, and so, after nursing her back to health I found a companion duck for her - and then three more (and now we are at eleven ducks!) so be careful of the duck addiction bug.

I have never had a problem with a lone duck with chickens except for when the duck matured and wanted to mount the hens. LOL

I put them in together and they even bonded! It will help it stay warm being in the coop. Do you know if you have a girl or male?

Now our new hen came from a house where the chickens pecked her bloody. So i guess it can go either way. I have 1 drake and 3 hens now
love.gif

Well Itook him out today the rooster(an allen setter) did not give me any trouble but the five hens all jumped on the poor guy.I'm thinking maybe I will have to take him out there and stand with him a little while each day and maybe they will get used to each other.I'm starting to worry the duck will have to go though,sure hope not.The poor thing 1 of the hens pecked him right between the eyes it was like watching someone get donkey punched.I have to stay out with him for now guess I'll see if it gets better after about a week of gradually taking him out with me and staying in the pen with him.Oh yeah my birds are 1 allen setter rooster (Big boy).5golden comet hens.1 duckling not sure what he is yet.maybe Welsh Harlequin.

Last edited:
Just great the rooster and a chicken went right over and jumped on the duck I don't know what I'm gonna do anyone looking for a duck?

what if you put the duck in a small cage inside the coop. That way the chickens could see him and he was still protected. Just an idea...thats what we did when i got my kitten with our dogs...
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom