Help! First time I have had a sick hen.

Katelynvaughqn

In the Brooder
Dec 29, 2023
Hi, I saved this hen from the woods and am very fond of her. I’m not sure how old she is. She has been laying eggs normally however has been shaking her head and what I now think is coughing possibly. When I went to check on her tonight she was breathing quick breaths with her mouth open. She free ranges around the yard and had normal eating yesterday from what I can tell. I work full time so I don’t get to keep eyes on them. I don’t know what to do next. Please offer any advice or places to look for meds. Do I take her to the vet or is that crazy?

I’m sorry to hear your girl is struggling! Some others on here are much more experienced than me but hopefully everyone will help we can get to the bottom of this.

Can you feel her crop, does it feel full? Squishy? Empty? Does she have bad breath?
What is the temperature outside?

Also, not crazy about taking your chicken to the vet! I would just call first because they don’t always accept them. I’ve taken one before and I was at the vet with my dog last week when a lady brought hers in!

I’m sorry to hear your girl is struggling! Some others on here are much more experienced than me but hopefully everyone will help we can get to the bottom of this.

Can you feel her crop, does it feel full? Squishy? Empty? Does she have bad breath?
What is the temperature outside?

Also, not crazy about taking your chicken to the vet! I would just call first because they don’t always accept them. I’ve taken one before and I was at the vet with my dog last week when a lady brought hers in!
Thank you for your reply. I’ll start with her crop and breath. It’s been hotter in the day around 85 but in the 70s at night. I’m in Arkansas so it’s always a little humid.

Back
Top Bottom