backyardhomestead

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2018
I am incubating quail for the first time. I had 58 eggs in a forced air incubator with my chicken eggs. On day 13 I moved the quail eggs to a still air incubator for the lock down. I did have one temp spike when I accidentally moved the knob; it went up to 104. Its day 20 and none have hatched so I decided to open a hand full of eggs to see what was going on. 3 were never fertile and 4 had developed to the point where all that was needed was for the yolk to go up inside the baby, but they were dead. I am afraid I've probably lost all the quail. I'm not sure If the spike killed them or the fact that I moved them from a forced air to a still air incubator. I kept the temp at 99.5-100.00 and humidity at 40-45 for the first 13 days, then bumped the temp to 101 and humidity to 60-65. ANY AND ALL COMMENTS AND TIPS WOULD BE DEEPLY APPRECIATED. I HAVE 100 MORE EGGS THAT WILL BE HERE IN THE NEXT DAY OR SO.
0322181226_HDR_Film1.jpg

Hello there and welcome to BYC! Well, it is very possible that your temperature spike killed them. 104 is considered pretty huge of a spike in the world of incubating. However, the impact it has on the chicks depends on how quickly you corrected your temperature. Are any of the eggs moving/pipped? Day 20 is pretty late to have none hatched yet (assuming we are talking about coturnix quail). I would say to watch and see if there are any pips or any shaking eggs and we’ll go from there.

At what point was the spike? After you moved them to lockdown? Or earlier in the incubation? If earlier, then I would not think it killed them since they clearly developed. If later, then....maybe.
It was when I moved them into the still air incubator for lockdown. So day 13 or 14, The babies that I have opened up are fully developed, just needed the yolk to move inside of them. I didn't know if moving them to the still air from the forced air would kill them or the spike.

Hello there and welcome to BYC! Well, it is very possible that your temperature spike killed them. 104 is considered pretty huge of a spike in the world of incubating. However, the impact it has on the chicks depends on how quickly you corrected your temperature. Are any of the eggs moving/pipped? Day 20 is pretty late to have none hatched yet (assuming we are talking about coturnix quail). I would say to watch and see if there are any pips or any shaking eggs and we’ll go from there.
Hello and thank you! They are coturnix quail. I had gone home on my lunch to check on them so from 1-4 they were bumped up to 104. I'm afraid that is what killed them. None are moving/pipped; I think I may have lost them them all. I do have 100 more eggs on their way if you have any tips I would appreciate it. Every site I look on for tips says something different

Do you have secondary known to be accurate thermometers and humidity meters or did you trust the incubators?

3 hours at 104 is high but not sure how fast the eggs would heat up as they don't heat as fast as the air around them does. But is a possibility.

I move from incubators to hatchers some still air. Doubt move killed them.

Home eggs or shipped. Shipped eggs can have bad hatch results.

What types of incubator?

Personally I low humidity incubate. Try to keep humidiy
20 to 35 then raise to 70 plus for lockdown and hatch. What I have found works best for me.

:welcome

Do you have secondary known to be accurate thermometers and humidity meters or did you trust the incubators?

3 hours at 104 is high but not sure how fast the eggs would heat up as they don't heat as fast as the air around them does. But is a possibility.

I move from incubators to hatchers some still air. Doubt move killed them.

Home eggs or shipped. Shipped eggs can have bad hatch results.

What types of incubator?

Personally I low humidity incubate. Try to keep humidiy
20 to 35 then raise to 70 plus for lockdown and hatch. What I have found works best for me.

:welcome
I am using 2 farm innovation incubators. I was trusting the temp and humidity levels that are built in, but will be buying another one for both. I read on a few forums that they rarely read correctly. I did have my eggs shipped. Once I can get a set hatched I will be incubating the eggs they have

I am using 2 farm innovation incubators. I was trusting the temp and humidity levels that are built in, but will be buying another one for both. I read on a few forums that they rarely read correctly. I did have my eggs shipped. Once I can get a set hatched I will be incubating the eggs they have
And thank you for the advice :)

Back
Top Bottom