Help! First time setting eggs and so confused!

christina_ski

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 26, 2009
Monett, MO
OK, I got a Hova-Bator 1602. And the automatic egg turner. I also bought a $3 humidty monitor, and an $8 Humidity/temp monitor both are now inside. I keep finding conflicting info on where to put the temp and humidity. One said 35-45% humidty was ok, another said to be 55%-65%. And temps vary from 99.5 to 102 depending on which book or site I look at. All I have in there now is 5 bantam eggs, put them in on the 3rd, just for practice really, and to see if any are infact fertile (i know my rooster has been breeding the hens). Are the specs different for banty eggs?

I know someone mentioned putting a computer fan in as well, does that mean I cut a hole in the side for it? Or does it just go inside, and where do I get one? Computer repair store? Any help appreciated!

-- Concearned Chicken owner lol

Your humidity should be between 30-35% for first 18 days. In a still air bator the temp should be 102 at the top of eggs. Temps will be different through out the bator. Whats at the top of the eggs is most important. My fan (already installed when I bought it) is attached to the lid. You can use a computer fan check out homemade bator sticky or look in coop designs there a homemade bators, on how to attach. Good luck with your hatch and
welcome-byc.gif

i have the same incubator! but not the turner or fan and i heard a story that a woman had a fan in hers and one of the chicks stood on onther egg and got its beak chiped just slightly thou nothing serious.

hope i did not scare you with the story and
welcome-byc.gif

I got a fan on ebay that was a kit meant to attach to the Hovabator 1602. It attaches to the 4 holes in the top of the incubator between the windows.

I haven't used the fan yet though and have had success hatching with temps around 101

Thanks for all the replys. My humidity is staying right around 40%, and the temp around 101-102. My friends dad has a bunch of old computer so I am going to see if he can get me one to try next time around. Right now all is well. I am keeping a close eye on it, my humdity has been steady, the temp bounces between 100-102, I'm trying to keep it steady. I am sure it has to do with the house temp and today its freezing out with snow on the way, so the heater is doing overtime to keep the house a steady temp.

Christina

Back
Top Bottom