HELP - First timer Need info please

ametauss

Songster
11 Years
Aug 20, 2008
Shepherdsville, KY
I read the messages about how to kill them -- kool with that...

Now that the bird is dead -- head chopped off, what do I need to do??

Don't laugh.... I've never hunted or killed an animal for eating....

I read that I should put the bird in boiling water....

Do I need to let the thing hang upside down outside for a while due to the blood?? How long in the water??

Thanks for the help

Ann Marie

yes, hang it for 5 minutes.

swish around in steaming, not boiling water. (scald it, no longer that a minute, the skin will poof up and tear easily)

section by section remove the feathers. if you do it slowly your first time, you will not tear the skin so much. and section by section makes it easy to get everything without having to go back and get 'left overs'

next, separate the crop from the skin in the neck area. cut the neck off if you want.

then, cut around the vent, carefully. don't get poop on yourself!
lol.png

reach in and pull all the insides out. rinse cavity and scrape out the lungs.

put into ice water to chill right away. then, cook it or put in fridge, keep it moist either by immersing in a salt water or wrap with wet paper towels.

this is what i do, not necessarily the only way.

Not boiling water, just hot in order to "scald" the bird. I use a candy thermometer to gauge the temp, and scald at 140-150 for about 60 seconds. Most people's hot water comes out of the tap at 115-120, so it doesn't take too long to get your water hot enough.

Thanks... I knew there had to be more to it than cut the head off and put in water to help with the plucking....

Now to take care of the mean chicken that is terrorizing my flock.... and make a nice meal for the family.....

Thanks,
Ann Marie

Back
Top Bottom