Help.(fixed)

Theredstick

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2020
I got 3 emus a week ago. We transport them in dog cages with plastic flooring(looking back on it probably was a stupid idea). They were sliding back and forth when we got home one of the female emus, was unable to walk. So we put her into there house.

The next day we let them out the other two where fine, she was on the ground unable to get up and walk around. so I picked her up and she was able to walk not as fast as the others and see would keep lying on the ground.

The next day she was much better to see was able to walk on her own still slower than the other. But she didn't need help to walk as the prayer day. But She tried while coming out of there house, she got up and walked away. Later that day she tripped in a hole, that was the end of her walking.

For the whole day, she would just lay there not doing anything. Her right foot/claw was swollen so we put her in a none slip box and left her she stayed in that box for 3 days. We finally take her out to find out she can't get up she just pushes with her left and slides. Her right knee is 50% bigger than the left. Her right knee tendons felt off.

Any help would be great. All I've read is that nothing can be done and she probably has to be put down.

Edit. We got her to a vet for Xrays and turned out to be nothing series just have to keep her from walk and moving for 3-5 weeks.

Last edited:
Can you post pictures of the injuries?

First thing I would do is call around and see if any vets near you can do emus. You might need to find an avian vet, but a large animal vet might also see them. If you can get a vet to look at it, that's the best.

Hopefully it's just a sprain or something and time will heal it. I would keep her still for a week and then reassess. Make sure wherever you keep her has nice, flat ground and a good gripping surface.

If she doesn't get better in a couple weeks, though, then you may have to put her down. Emus need to have two good legs to be able to survive.

Back
Top Bottom