Help! Float test failed me!

Float testing should only be done on very overdue eggs to figure out if there is any chance that they are still alive and will hatch. I'm sorry you and your chicks are having a tough time.

Yeah, I've never liked LGs myself. Is it the still air version? If so the hatching time discrepancies are likely being caused by hot and cold spots in the incubator. Best to move eggs around in a still air so that they all get an average amount of warmth. Also, your temp was a bit low, which would also account for the late hatch. In a still air, the temp should be 101.5 measured at the top of the eggs, not 100.

Yes, leave it uncovered. Covering it won't really help with the stickiness. Plus, saran wrap could very likely cut off its oxygen.

The ones that haven't yet hatched, you could put a small safety hole in them at the top of the air cell to see what's going on and provide them air in case they need it. You can read how to do that in this article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

What breed are you hatching?

I modified it by installing a CPU fan that runs constantly, to keep the air circulating. I know it had hotspots before.

Thank you so much, I was wondering if I should do that so they wouldnt drown! You rock!

I modified it by installing a CPU fan that runs constantly, to keep the air circulating. I know it had hotspots before.

Thank you so much, I was wondering if I should do that so they wouldnt drown! You rock!

They all died in shell. Maybe it was trying to pip when I cracked the egg open.

Back
Top Bottom