Help. Fly problem and Keeping chickens cool in AZ Desert??

DesertGrrl

Songster
Sep 24, 2020
Arizona
I have a fly problem.
It's getting HOT 🔥 (95°F today in Arizona) and my hens/rooster have a 10x10 coop the floor is just the desert dirt that its built on (no floor bedding).
I have been hosing down the ground with water in there to keep my flock cool, but now have like a bunch of flies in there.
What can I do to keep it fly free and still cool for my chickens?

I live north of the valley, half-way between phoenix and prescott in terms of temperature, elevation and distance so I know what you mean about heat.

Two really good designs come to mind:
Desert oasis by @igorsMistress and @Parront's metal and wire open pen/coop with tarps. I'd be inclined to start with the latter, because it could be moved, and the tarps rearranged as you learn which way the wind blows on your property. Note, I believe she uses electric fencing to shield from predators, otherwise you'd need to upgrade it with hardware cloth.

You want to shield from the winds to keep them dry during winter storms and monsoons.

You can also put a shallow tray of water in the pen with some clay bricks in it, half-covered by the water. It took my birds a while to learn to use it to cool off while keeping t heir feet dry.

good luck!

I have a fly problem.
It's getting HOT 🔥 (95°F today in Arizona) and my hens/rooster have a 10x10 coop the floor is just the desert dirt that its built on (no floor bedding).
I have been hosing down the ground with water in there to keep my flock cool, but now have like a bunch of flies in there.
I use fly traps. Flies happen when you have chickens! I do keep it dry in my coop, but you still have flies. Put the traps out as soon as you see a fly in spring!

I live north of the valley, half-way between phoenix and prescott in terms of temperature, elevation and distance so I know what you mean about heat.

Two really good designs come to mind:
Desert oasis by @igorsMistress and @Parront's metal and wire open pen/coop with tarps. I'd be inclined to start with the latter, because it could be moved, and the tarps rearranged as you learn which way the wind blows on your property. Note, I believe she uses electric fencing to shield from predators, otherwise you'd need to upgrade it with hardware cloth.

You want to shield from the winds to keep them dry during winter storms and monsoons.

You can also put a shallow tray of water in the pen with some clay bricks in it, half-covered by the water. It took my birds a while to learn to use it to cool off while keeping t heir feet dry.

good luck!
I have removed most of the tarps because it’s getting hot! One on the southside for shade it’s all I have now.

I have a fly problem.
Can you plug up a fan? I put a box fan in my coop during the summer to help them keep cool when they are sleep. The fan is high enough the chickens can't touch it.

Pics of your coop would help. Does your flock free range at all or are they in a run?

Fly traps. I like the yellow ones from just about anywhere. Also, some straw will help keep flies down because of poop in the coop. Maybe provide the wet area outside of the coop because heat combined with any humidity trapped inside will only make matters worse and your flock miserable. Something that worked very well for me was a kiddie pool I’d cut down to just a couple inches high that I put a ten pound block of ice in each afternoon. The flock could sip the water as it melted and stand in it to cool off. Cool, damp soil in the shade of a tree where they could catch a breeze was also much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom