HELP! Fly Problem - Deep Litter Method

The pic is my droppings deck with food grade DE (Amazon) and Sweet PDZ (feed store).

We live in fly territory thanks to the area corporate chicken farms and it can get bad, like now. I have zero flies on my poop deck which is amazing.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/10/the-deep-litter-method-of-waste.html

The above discusses the deep litter method.

Good luck and have fun.

I have the exact same set up. I live in West TN Hot and Humid!! If I don't scoop out the poop DAILY it's a big time fly problem.

Here's the weird thing, while I scoop every morning, the top of the droppings are not yet covered by the litter, yet there are no flies! Why they're not buzzing the droppings by mid morning is beyond me.

Guess I need to knock on wood. :D

Seems like this has been an extra bad year tho with flies. Here in Kansas I use shavings, DE and fly paper. Tried the fly traps, but the scent was getting to me.

For flies I have sand in the run, a few fly sticks hung around outside of the run and one if the bag type fly traps. Be sure that if you are using a baited fly trap that you put it somewhere in the back corner of the yard because the flies are drawn to it and it stinks!!!! I also read somewhere that those vanilla scented tree air freshen era repel flies? I haven't tried that yet. :)

For flies I have sand in the run, a few fly sticks hung around outside of the run and one if the bag type fly traps. Be sure that if you are using a baited fly trap that you put it somewhere in the back corner of the yard because the flies are drawn to it and it stinks!!!! I also read somewhere that those vanilla scented tree air freshen era repel flies? I haven't tried that yet. :)
Good to know, I just bought one of those fly bait jugs.

Back
Top Bottom