HELP! Fly Problem - Deep Litter Method

It is hot and humid here in Chelsea, Alabama and I use the deep litter method using straw. I switched to pine shavings once but that didn't work well at all. I went back to using straw. I flip the straw every day, and don't have flies inside the coop.

I've also read that DE is bad for yours/chickens respiratory systems, dvcrztb! But, hey, I'm a newbie here. I've taken a couple of people's advice and my husband ordered the fly traps online (this is my preferred way: I read and he acts! Perfect!). I'll let you know, but they do sound like they will be the ticket on the flies.
caf.gif

OK. It takes several months for the fly predators to build up in deep litter, which may be why old time farmers tended to clear old litter and replace litter in the fall.

An effective way to minimize the flies is to place fly paper strips around - the old fashioned type that glue the flies to them. Keep out of biddies reach or biddies will be glued to the strips as well and they are not very happy about it.

The other thing is to turn the litter over as for compost, at least once a week.

Don't use shavings - use only coarse wood chips, of the sort used for mulching. Do not use bark, do not use shavings, do not use straw. They have serious issues regarding absorption, moisture retention, etc. Woodchips will very gradually degrade in place. You may need to gently dampen them and then turn them in extremely dry, hot weather. We are talking using the mist setting on a hose sprayer, and just sort of splashing once over everything, until you can tell it has been sprinkled, but it doesn't look wet.

I live in Austin as well. I'll tell you what has been the ideal coop litter for me for the last several years. I do have a large area for my girls (and rooster, mustn't forget the boys). They only use the enclosed coop at night. In their coop (which is roughly 6' x 8') I rake it completely clean. Then I add 4 bags of general purpose sand from Home Depot. Then I sprinkle very generously with diatemaceous earth, then I put...and here's the magical part, rice hulls that I buy from Buck Moore on Lamar and 51st. I used to use wood shavings but they took forever to break down in the compost bin and I don't mind saying I am a master composter. Even when they did compost, I really didn't care for the quality of the compost compared to the rice hull letter compost.

Rice hulls are not easy to find. You can pick composted rice hulls at Natural Gardener for an arm and a leg but you want dry rice hulls. The only place that I know to get those in Austin is at Buck Moore. Ken makes a trip a good ways out of town to pick them up. It's the best litter I've found. The coop is dry, easy to clean and very few flies. I hope that helped. If you do this, remember to thoroughly remove/clean out the old bedding first and raise that feeder!
I love Buck Moore feed store. He's the one who talked me off the ledge when I was trying to decide whether or not to start some chickens. Two of my girls are from his store. I'll have to go check out the rice hulls. I'm going to change to sand as soon as I can. I'm having back issues right now so I'm not wanting to haul heavy bags of sand just right now. But I will soon!

The flies are somewhat controlled now, not as bad as they were but still not so great. I did get a fly catcher jar but I'm kinda grossed out about it and haven't had the guts to hang it just yet.

It is hot and humid here in Chelsea, Alabama and I use the deep litter method using straw. I switched to pine shavings once but that didn't work well at all. I went back to using straw. I flip the straw every day, and don't have flies inside the coop.
I agree,
I have always used straw and then switched to pine and the girls dont like it. I can tell they like the straw much better. No more pine shavings for me....doesnt dry out as well.
I have never had a big fly problem with straw. I do use sand and sweet pdz under my roosts and I agree that works really well.
Marie

I have sand in the run. It drains fast and is super easy to clean the poop. Wet poop attracts flies. Dry poop doesn't.

I love Buck Moore feed store.  He's the one who talked me off the ledge when I was trying to decide whether or not to start some chickens.  Two of my girls are from his store.  I'll have to go check out the rice hulls.  I'm going to change to sand as soon as I can.  I'm having back issues right now so I'm not wanting to haul heavy bags of sand just right now.  But I will soon! 

The flies are somewhat controlled now, not as bad as they were but still not so great.  I did get a fly catcher jar but I'm kinda grossed out about it and haven't had the guts to hang it just yet.

Back
Top Bottom