HELP! Fly Problem - Deep Litter Method

I'm just starting my coop. No chickens yet. We are using plastic pallets as the floor and then they are covered with small wire. I was planning on using the deep litter method and I thought that the holes in the plastic pallets would be good for the deep litter to help it stay dry. What do you guys think?

I live just outside of Austin and got my sand from Austin Landscape Supplies, Exit 259, IH35 South, Georgetown. It's so much cheaper than buying bags of sand! It was $15 for a pick up load. I love having sand in my coop...scoop up poop every morning and have flies, but not any more than anywhere else around the property. Sand is cooler for the girls in the summer, too!

Uhyup. Last time I was in my old stomping grounds I took a fair number of photos of it, including the restrooms, which seemed to have been built with the service station and were very neat privies AKA pit toilets.

The reason I mention it is that there old sign always advertised having restrooms. I suspect more than a few folks from the coast were a bit put out.

This is a big problem for anyone who does the deep litter method. First I tried a elec. bug zapper to no avail, then I bought these milk jugg traps that you put bait attractant and water into a gallon jug and set on ground in the coop area and day by day watched and waited for the hoards to fly in - nope! (Just clear stinky water ) Finally on a lark, tried Pinterest, saw a post on there about how to get rid of flies, so I tried it. IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Walmart -3 pack Little trees Vanillaroma in the Auto section $2.43 My coop is 10x10 and. I used 6 in mine. And hung them about knee height or less . Smells good in there and chickens didn't seem to notice at all. I didn't want to use DE in my coop because I didn't want to kill all the bugs that we're good food sources for my flock. I use DE on my birds only when I dust them and in their nest boxes. I hope this May help some of you during this summer heat. Good luck!:)

The Tea Pot has been moved into town on Main St. (Exit 52) and is now a visitor information center. It is nicely landscaped and has real rest rooms. It's on the historical register. Check it out next time you're here.

The Tea Pot has been moved into town on Main St. (Exit 52) and is now a visitor information center. It is nicely landscaped and has real rest rooms. It's on the historical register. Check it out next time you're here.

There were quite a few of these built in the 1920s, all around the country. This is possibly the only one left.

They left out the wonderful folk art painted rocks that used to surround the rest rooms. Rocks that took two hands to lift and had been painted in bright colors and used to edge around them. I hope the new restrooms are in the old outdoor potty building.
smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the comment. I was wanting to try that. I will be buying some tomorrow and getting rid of those stinky bags!

We have had tons of flies this year. We are being extra diligent about poop removal and also added a couple of bait stations with QuickBayt that hang at ceiling height. You can make stations out of gallon jugs. Just cut 2" diameter holes, one on each wide side and two on the handle side. Top them off with fresh bait weekly. We also just sprayed the worst mini coops with Sevin. If you have a rototiller, run it in the chicken yard or run to bury the loop. Thank God we have not seen maggots! I also agree that deep litter may not be right for you now. Good luck!

Thanks! I water the poop into the grass right now. Planning later to compost it, use I in the garden or bury it. Haven't researched what is safe and healthy yet though.

Back
Top Bottom