HELP!!!! flying pullet

mine did that at 8 days old, roosting on the side of the brooder. I did the proper thing, spanked them and gave them a time out. Later they came to me and apologized. I explained to them that the resident beagle doesnt know his own strength and although he loves chicks and chickens their 2oz vs his 30lbs would be no contest. I just disciplined them for their own good and because i love them.

just kidding, i put some spare chicken wire over the top and gave them some toys to play with - couple sticks, a worm or 3, some grapefruit and a toilet roll tube

gig.gif
I just knew this thread was about pullets flying out! For me, my girls and boys are a month old now and fly wherever they please. It doesn't bother me too much, as they always return safely, but just today I replaced their brooder with a new one that has higher walls. Of course, they can still get out of it though because I have perches leading up to the top. I'm not going to stop my handsome Marans roo from perching atop the walls of the box. . . I think he feels safe surveying his flock!
lol.png

Back when we were still brooding chicks in the house my wife elbowed me awake one morning to say "there's a chick on the end of the bed."

A little hardware cloth to put over the top of the brooder can be a good thing.

.....Alan (along with a dust collection system!)

Back
Top Bottom