Help for a newbie!

The cheese stuff doesn't seem to smell. I've been smelling her beak to see if there has been any odor and I dont really smell anything terrible.

I have only the powder Tylan, I asked for the injectable and didnt get, but will try to get now Honestly she is young to begin with and has very little breast to inject into, so IDK. Powder says mix 1 teaspoon per gal of water. I gave her 2 ml by syringe and left the water there, she was drinking the tiniest bit on her own. Ill give her more in a few hours. I also gave her a little more LA200

Her 3rd eyelid looks stuck and dry and has some gunk on it, I put a warm compress to help it along; so I'm wondering if it has to do with the cheesy stuff on the roof of her mouth discharging through her eye and it's like a sinus infection.
I'm feeling awful right now. Im exhausted and failing this poor girl. I feel like an idiot. Sorry.
😔

I would syringe the mixed Tylosin several times a day if possible.

For the eye, you can flush with saline, press out the pus and apply an eye ointment like Terramycin.
Is the cheesy stuff inside her beak attached or can it be removed with a qtip?

You are doing what you can for her :hugs

If you have any pictures of the gunk in her beak or her face, that would be helpful. I am sorry that she is so sick. She needs the fluids as well as the Tylosin, so I would continue to give the mixture.

First, many thanks to everyone who was kind and helpful to me. Im a first time chicken mom and trying to set a good example for my girls. Unfortunately, Weezy passed away earlier today. I found a vet far away, she wasn't getting better and she was just languishing. My kids were upset and I was stressed out in general, and this situation was not helping. So off I went. It took all of 5 minutes for her to be diagnosed with Fowl Pox, the wet kind. I was astounded. It was all down her esophagus, roof of mouth (cheesy stuff). She had no lesions or signs anywhere on her outside. She would not have recovered no matter what I did for her. So now Im freaked out about the rest of my little flock. So tomorrow I check anyone sneezing, or acting funny. Then I clean out, disinfect, rake out, put sand and new bedding down in run and coop. Am I missing anything? I am exhausted, I just got home from work, 3am. Any advice is (as always) much appreciated. Thank you for such wonderful support. RIP Weezy. 🌈🐔🐤

First, many thanks to everyone who was kind and helpful to me. Im a first time chicken mom and trying to set a good example for my girls. Unfortunately, Weezy passed away earlier today. I found a vet far away, she wasn't getting better and she was just languishing. My kids were upset and I was stressed out in general, and this situation was not helping. So off I went. It took all of 5 minutes for her to be diagnosed with Fowl Pox, the wet kind. I was astounded. It was all down her esophagus, roof of mouth (cheesy stuff). She had no lesions or signs anywhere on her outside. She would not have recovered no matter what I did for her. So now Im freaked out about the rest of my little flock. So tomorrow I check anyone sneezing, or acting funny. Then I clean out, disinfect, rake out, put sand and new bedding down in run and coop. Am I missing anything? I am exhausted, I just got home from work, 3am. Any advice is (as always) much appreciated. Thank you for such wonderful support. RIP Weezy. 🌈🐔🐤
I'm sorry to hear about Weezy :(

Fowl Pox for the most part is transmitted by mosquitoes. Where are you located in the world?
Some people that live in states/areas where there's a lot of insect activity vaccinate their birds.
There's some good tips in this article about sanitizing drinking water to minimize spread if you have an outbreak. https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

I'm not sure if doing all that cleaning out will help or not to be honest with you. You are exhausted and have done what you can. Stop, do a bit of research and go from there.
I'm very sorry you're having to deal with this and it's a stressful time. I hope the rest remain healthy. :hugs

You are an amazing, wonderful, tender, exemplary, loving chick mom. I’m so sorry your heart is broken.

Please find some consolation in knowing you did everything possible for your little girl, and let yourself feel the love and support coming to you from countless like-minded souls out here. Our hearts are wrapped around you and your family.

I'm sorry to hear about Weezy :(

Fowl Pox for the most part is transmitted by mosquitoes. Where are you located in the world?
Some people that live in states/areas where there's a lot of insect activity vaccinate their birds.
There's some good tips in this article about sanitizing drinking water to minimize spread if you have an outbreak. https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

I'm not sure if doing all that cleaning out will help or not to be honest with you. You are exhausted and have done what you can. Stop, do a bit of research and go from there.
I'm very sorry you're having to deal with this and it's a stressful time. I hope the rest remain healthy. :hugs
I did some research.. I cleaned out everything in the run, raked up the poo, feathers, sticks and soforth. I put down sand. I cleaned out the bedding in the coop and washed down all the perches- I then disinfected everything with a bleach solution and let it sit for 10 mins and then washed it off. Same to the nesting boxes, floor and walls of the coop. I did my best. Also did a check of the chickens that pecked on weezy the most and the ones she was buddies with and slept with. I believe all is ok, but they had been eating meal worms so the pieces looked similar, I will check again. I would like to know where to get them tested and possibly vaccinated... but I have 12 left, so going to the vet isn't in the budget and I was thinking of calling a vet school or something... suggestions?
Vet told me mosquitos and wild birds are the most common transmitters of pox, especially wet.... Maybe they free ranged where the birds were, idk. Im in Central NJ where the state bird is a mosquito, lol. 🤣 So Im going to invest in a mosquito trap of some sort. Maybe put up another bat house. I already dump standing water and so forth, so...
Thanks for all the supportive words. Its just this was from left field, the respitory infection I could understand... but this I wasn't expecting. I learned a lot, and Ill try to be better prepared for the next emergency... ha!

So sorry that you lost Wheezy. Did her beak have a bad odor? There are a number of things that can cause yellow gunk inside the beak and throat including fowl pox, canker, bacterial, and fungal infections. It is interesting that you have not seen any dry fowl pox in your flock. Hopefully, no one else gets sick, and all others remain healthy.

Back
Top Bottom