Help for a Newbie

Colleen228

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 19, 2013
I am not a chicken breeder, just a Kindergarten Teacher from Ottawa looking for some advice.
I have an incubator in my classroom in the hopes of giving the children a positive experience. I started counting Day 1 as the day
I put the eggs in my incubator.(Was this correct?) Today is Day 16 and I am at a crossroads. Sunday should be my day to take them out of the turner( Day 18) but my school is closed. Do I try and take the incubator home with me and jeopardize their last stages of growth in the move or do I risk leaving them here and take them out Monday morning. This would be Day 20.

Any advice?
Thanks
Colleen 228

drumstick diva

Still crazy after all these years.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Out to pasture
welcome-byc.gif
I have no experience hatching I'm sorry but you can go to "Raising Backyard chickens "and post on the incubating/hatching thread

1muttsfan

Up Northerner
10 Years
Mar 26, 2011
Upper Peninsula Michigan
Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

That is a huge debate topic on the incubation threads. The way I count it, they incubate for 21 days. That means that day 1 is up after they have been in the incubator for 24 hours, then day 2 starts for the next 24, and so on. So if you put them in on a Monday, they are due to hatch 21 days after that, or on the Monday 3 weeks hence.

Last edited:

Top Bottom