Help for a Newbie

Colleen228

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 19, 2013
I am not a chicken breeder, just a Kindergarten Teacher from Ottawa looking for some advice.
I have an incubator in my classroom in the hopes of giving the children a positive experience. I started counting Day 1 as the day
I put the eggs in my incubator.(Was this correct?) Today is Day 16 and I am at a crossroads. Sunday should be my day to take them out of the turner( Day 18) but my school is closed. Do I try and take the incubator home with me and jeopardize their last stages of growth in the move or do I risk leaving them here and take them out Monday morning. This would be Day 20.

Any advice?
Thanks
Colleen 228

welcome-byc.gif
I have no experience hatching I'm sorry but you can go to "Raising Backyard chickens "and post on the incubating/hatching thread

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

That is a huge debate topic on the incubation threads. The way I count it, they incubate for 21 days. That means that day 1 is up after they have been in the incubator for 24 hours, then day 2 starts for the next 24, and so on. So if you put them in on a Monday, they are due to hatch 21 days after that, or on the Monday 3 weeks hence.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom