She was born on Monday, the 14th. She was a day 19 hatch, so two days early, and there was a lot of vessels stillView attachment 2339660View attachment 2339669View attachment 2339660 in her shell when she hatched. I actually wrapped her shell in moist paper towels, the night before, to slow her down, but she was determined to come out when she wanted. Iā€™m currently giving her pedialyte mixed with poultry vitamins. She did finally open her eyes early this morning.
Which one is her in the last pic? She's super cute. I love her feathered legs. I'm rooting for you both! Keep me posted.

Which one is her in the last pic? She's super cute. I love her feathered legs. I'm rooting for you both! Keep me posted.
Sheā€™s still not feeding herself yet, BUT sheā€™s up and wandering around when sheā€™s not napping. This is a good sign sheā€™s improving
8D452FAE-3AC2-4B14-B0F6-7DA74C5FDD4D.jpeg

Sheā€™s still not feeding herself yet, BUT sheā€™s up and wandering around when sheā€™s not napping. This is a good sign sheā€™s improving View attachment 2341115
Are you in the US? She needs to get some nutrients by now. Nutridrench would be good, but I don't think you could get it outside of the US. Molasses might be good too. Make sure the other chicks don't trample her, but walking is a good sign. Are her eyes open? You'll have to force feed her if she doesn't start eating soon or she'll starve. @Clap p 1 force fed little 7 for a while. Maybe they have some advice for you.

Update; sheā€™s up walking around today, in tiny micro bursts of energy. Sheā€™s drinking but still hasnā€™t figured out eating on her own yet. Every day sheā€™s trying,View attachment 2341118 is a good day. She's resting here, but fluffy and dry, and the water on her tummy seems much less today
Is she pooping and how does it look? She's so cute. I think she'll pull through if she starts eating.

Are you in the US? She needs to get some nutrients by now. Nutridrench would be good, but I don't think you could get it outside of the US. Molasses might be good too. Make sure the other chicks don't trample her, but walking is a good sign. Are her eyes open? You'll have to force feed her if she doesn't start eating soon or she'll starve. @Clap p 1 force fed little 7 for a while. Maybe they have some advice for you.
Iā€™ve mixed pedialyte, nutridrench, cooked eggs, and honey, and sheā€™s started taking tiny bits via the syringe. As for her poop (your next comment) I saw her poop today while feeding (first one Iā€™ve seen her do) and it water plus a little white.

We just had a premature hatch, and our chick had a similar trajectory. After coming out of the shell spent about 24 hours sleeping, and once ā€˜Yolkyā€™ started walking around it was another 48 hours before they ate anything. When they did eat it was a boiled yolk/plain yogurt/water soup that I dipped Yolkyā€™s beak in. Yolky is almost a month old now and is integrated with the flock. Weā€™re sending good wishes your way!

Oh my prayers are with you. Sending so much comfort from Wisconsin. This baby must mean so very much to you. I believe she was a gift sent from your daughter too. How else can you explain all those coincidences and crazy odds that baby had to beat to get here! I know it may sound crazy but I have the best luck in these situations using a qtip. I dip it in the h20 until itā€™s really soaked and dripping and put it near the tip of the beak. 99% of the time they grab on and almost ā€œsuckā€œ on it like they would a nipple waterer. Then I tap in in the bell waterer with the rhythm a hen would with her beak if she were teaching them. Iā€™ll go back five to six times a day and repeat until theyā€™re eating and drinking good. Works like a charm. You can then dip the wet qtip in starter Too and they usually eat that right off of it to get them going on food too. And because itā€™s wet the crumbles stick until they eat it. Just keep mocking what moms beak would be like. They learn to follow that qtip within seconds. Also, TSC has little water bases that fit the plastic mason jars that you use for food and water. The screw on part is obviously the same size but then the bell part where they drink is maybe a quarter of an inch In circumference. Ask for a quail waterer base. Unless the chick is real big. And Only use that until theyā€™re drinking good and then switch back. I think with large fowl chicks thereā€™s not as much room for them to drink Iā€™m an ideal situation once itā€™s after theyā€™re a week or so old - not as much as there should be to drink freely and comfortably anyway. I use it with my serama for a month but theyā€™re tiny and I usually only brood 4 or 5 at one time.
also, I LOVE the idea of honey and egg and wet starter. Use all of those tactics myself. And nutridrench too. Or thereā€™s an inFang vitamin you can get at Walgreens and Walmart that Iā€™m forgetting the name of thatā€™s similar. I believe itā€™s something like polyvisol-Maybe someone else knows the correct name and spelling of that product. You just have to be real sure to get without iron. There is a with iron and without version. As for molasses, the only time Iā€™ve ever used a teeny tiny bit was as a laxative for a Constipated roo. And boydid it make him go! So I would worry a chickwhoā€™s in fragile state with runny droppings wouldnā€™t fare that so well. But go for the egg and a little honey. And warm water in starter to make like the consistency of oatmeal. Good luck. My thoughts and prayers are with you in a big way. Keep us posted.

Last edited:
I donā€™t know what could help other than whatā€™s already said but I want you to know that me and marvel are rooting for you. ( marvel was a lone hatch from my favorite hen that we had to put down after a long issue with a pretty bad leg injury.). Marvel hatched out 2 days later after fighting to zip, and has some issues as well. Heā€™s only a day old now.

I donā€™t know what could help other than whatā€™s already said but I want you to know that me and marvel are rooting for you. ( marvel was a lone hatch from my favorite hen that we had to put down after a long issue with a pretty bad leg injury.). Marvel hatched out 2 days later after fighting to zip, and has some issues as well. Heā€™s only a day old now.
Well weā€™re rooting for the OP and her sweet baby and now you and marvel too!

Back
Top Bottom