Help for buying eggs online???

growinupinfl

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Pensacola
I humbly beg of those oh seasoned hatchers' and those who have successfully bought hatching eggs online..Could you please share your knowledge with us who have just left our brooders? If you have any tips on buying eggs, things to look for. Or if there is a person you would recommend to buy from or avoid I would love the information. If you have thing you have knowledge you think us newbies could benefit from would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot,

Christal

Always thoroughly check feedback and ask lots of questions. IMO if a person is unwilling to patiently answer your questions, they are likely not worth their salt as a breeder or business person in general. That always makes me leary.

I have had some good hatches from buying egg's as well as some bad.It's basicaly a gamble.Shipping can be hard on egg's.Sometime's PO Xrays them etc.I would still take a chance though if I were in the market for a certain breed.Alway's check feedback for seller's etc.Even if egg's don't hatch does not mean seller is at fault immediatley.Buying egg's in very cold or hot temp's can influence your hatch rate also.If you are looking to buy right away you should do so before the temps get down cold on a reg. basis in your are.Dont buy egg's from seller's that are on other side of country either.Closer the better usualy. Lot of thing's to keep in mind.I hatched out babie's on Xmas last year. from hatching egg's
yippiechickie.gif
.Maybe someone else has some more tips and their experiences to share.Good Luck Hope you get some babie's.

In the future I would like a batch of silkies, some delwares and Coronation Sussex..

But it is more than the breed, so many people on her talk about none of the eggs hatching, find out a little to late of things to do or not do... So I just wanted a thread with a lot of recommendations for us newbies... Like if you live in different places of the country does it matter or not matter where the eggs come from, does temp, altitude change matter? If you are getting a more unique breed what questions should we ask. Some of us don't even know enough to know what we should ask, LOL, Is there certain Shou breeds that do better with being mailed vs others. What method of shipping do you recommend? Any particular carrier, or stickers that we should make sure is on the eggs to prevent them from being x-rayed etc..

I have learned one thing in life, it is easier to learn from others knowledge, than me trying to reinvent everything.

Christal

I'm afraid I won't be much help, because I don't have much of a strategy, I just look for the breeds I want, check the feedback for the seller (decided not to buy from a seller with GREAT feedback for a ton of new electronics items - what's up with that??), do not choose sellers who haven't got many sales (yes, probably not fair to the seller just starting out, but I'll stick with the established ones), and I have purchased eggs from across the country. But I try to find eggs from my own or adjacent states....

I've had good and bad luck, but they're shipped eggs. *shrugging* It's a crap shoot, sometimes. But I am happy if ANY eggs hatch because I'm new at this and excited about it.

The BEST sellers are on BYC. But that doesn't keep me from buying eggs through eBay auctions.

Quote:
That is one thing I want to do.. I want to hatch silkies on Christmas day as part of my daughters Christmas presents... She has been researching them and wanting one for two years.. So she is finally going to get one.. I live in Florida..

Christal

Wow well hope you can find some egg's and get them set around Xmas Due date.I was SOOOOO lucky last year.I had lost my Entire flock of birds last year due some crazy circumstance's but was lucky enough to get my one Xmas Wish some new chicks.I hatched out 6 OEGB's 6 Silkie's Some hatched Xmas Eve the rest Xmas day!and then 2 day's later 2 bantam sumatra.Those babie's stayed in basement until Feb lol.They all thrived Very well.Silkie's are awesome and good pet's.Hope you can get some hatched.I will try and look back in my auction's see who it was I got some of mine from.It's been a while so....I have one gorgeous hen I hatched later like in feb or so from another seller.Will see if I can find them.Lot's of nice looking silkie seller's on here too so..

I buy and ship eggs all the time.
My best advice besides the obvious of checking where you are buying is....
Let the eggs rest after you unwrap them for atleast 12 hours in the room you are going to incubate them in. Best advice I ever got. I get great hatches on shipped eggs from all over the country.
And then besides checking your temp and humidity just be patient. It is hard to do, once those eggs are in lockdown leave them alone.
fl.gif

It is really hard to do especially when you first start out but you will get better results.
And sometimes after everything you just wont get anything. It happens, they are shipped eggs.

This summer I had horrible hatches, but was also going through some difficult personal things.

I've gotten scrambled, aircell broken, smashed eggs delivered to me. A lot of money and no chicks.

I think once they get to California they play basketball or soccer with the boxes. My only explaination.

Last eggs ordered I got 2 chicks. One didn't make it, but I have a beautiful little Mille Fleur d'Uccle that I'm praying is a poulet since I ahve 3 roos.

I have Porcelins in that I just locked down and most developed
wee.gif

Now if my AMs and FBCMs hatch I'll be in heaven.

Oh and have another egg shipment that shipped out today.

I think now that it's cooler I'm having better luck. That and maybe they hired new workers at the PO.

Back
Top Bottom