help for injured chicken and other bad flock members!!!

stafar

Hatching
12 Years
Jan 10, 2008
I have a seriously wounded chicken, a huge wound on her side from the other bad girls picking her. She is seperarated and I am cleaning the wound and putting neosporin on it. She is eating and drinking well. Is there anything else I should do? Plus I blue-koted the others with bare patches, can I still eat the eggs from these girls? I'm new to chickens and freaking out!! HELP!!!

sorry dont know much about this sort of thing but i think ya can eat the eggs but not the chicken itself that has been bluecoated.. maybe this will get an answer soon.

hi stafar,
i'm a newbie too so i don't know. i would say to be on the safe side don't eat the eggs until treatment is done. better safe than sorry?
i'm sure someone with more experience will be along shortly.
what kind of chickens are they by the way?

There are literally hundreds of posts here on this with some very helpful info... Please use the search function as I am sure the photos contained within them will help you and also the many good outcomes (on what seemed at first a horrid injury)
A pic by the way would be most helpful if you can put one up (you need to first upload to a photo host then post that URL here, highlight and click on the IMG button in order for it to appear here in your post)
Flush the wound amply with a sterile saline solution (to make this simply boil 1/4 tsp of salt in a quart of water for five minutes and cool) daily... then apply the neosporin. Keep all scrupulously clean of course and give your bird a good general nutritional/vit supplement.

Last edited:
The injured bird is a rhode island red, I also have 2 other rhode islands, 5 red stars and 5 black stars. The black stars are the ones who have bald spots and were blue-koted. I am thinking that they are molting but not sure. I haven't seen any mites or lice. My injured girl is holding her own still.I bought antibiotics at the feed store and am going to give her these today.

I had the SAME thing happen last weekend. I keep her separated but everyone (the chickens) act as if it never happen! If it werent for the open gashes I would wonder if I was nuts!

Back
Top Bottom