help for my frozen romas! Crockpot ideas needed.

hunterjumper999

Songster
11 Years
Dec 26, 2008
Box Springs
I have 2 frozen gallon bags of peeled cored romas.

What can I do with them?

I wanted to maybe crockpot something because I start my new job Wednesday and wont want to cook.

Can i cook them down into sauce, then use my stick blender to puree and add ground beef ( cooked?) and spices and let that simmer for the day?

Can i just use 1 bag?
Do i thaw them first?

HELP!

Never having dealt with frozen tomatoes....I would venture to guess a nice soup. Corn, peas, lima beans, green beans, onions, tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, celery - or what ever you have. Spice to taste. Maybe brown a little beef and tuck it in there as well - or brown some sausage for a bit of a kick.

I have a homemade soup very similiar to this that my mother in law cans for us - it's really good. She throws in okra, crowder peas, and anything else she has handy. I don't see why you can't cook the frozen tomatoes in there and just crockpot everything.

Hope it helps.

Before I had chickens who marauded my tomato plants....
sad.png

I froze all of them - Romas included - whole, did not bother to core, seed or peel.
Just did like you: freezer bagsfull until I was ready to cook.

Then I'd dump the frozen tomatoes into a saucepot, add my spaghetti gravy ingredients (garlic, peppers, onions, celery, red or white wine, seasonings) and let it simmer down into sauce. The skins can be picked out or just left in.
The longer it simmers the better - not sure about the crockpot as no evaporation might make the sauce watery.
For crockpotting maybe thaw & drain the tomatoes first?

gettingaclue's soup would probably work fine in a crockpot with frozen tomatoes - liquid would just add to the soup-ness.

Not sure about adding meat either.
I usually refreeze the sauce and brown meat to add when I use it.

Also good to roast them in your oven. Toss with olive oil, sprinkle with rosemary & parsley or cilantro, spread on a rack over a tin foil lined pan & roast at 425 or so until they are starting to char. Makes for a great smoky addition to pasta sauces. I also take a few gloves of garlic, sprinkle them with a little bit of olive oil, wrap them in a piece of tin foil & put them in the middle of the tomato pan -- then after everything is cooked squeeze them over the tomatoes.

edit to add, I know that's not a crockpot recipe, but it is very quick & easy to do & minimum cleanup!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom