Help For My Poor Hens!! Please

goobhen

Chicks Rule
13 Years
Dec 6, 2008
Indiana
I did a search on this, did not find an answer. If this topic has been discussed, please let me know! I had too many roos for the amount of hens. DH got rid of two roos for me, I now have only one. Is there something I can feed my hens to help their feathers grow back in? Yogurt, vitamin E, a particular food, grain, etc? DH is worried as winter is coming in, and we both feel guilty because we should have gotten rid to the two roosters before we did! Please and thank you for any advice, Theresa

If the feathers are totally pulled out, they will grow back, but if they're broken off, it will take until the next molt for them to grow back. Giving them more protein will definitely help those feathers grow back in.

Some people will give their chickens wet cat food. I would just give them some game bird starter feed in with their regular stuff.

Sounds like you need hensavers, before you order them , I have tried the doggie shirts at walmart on the clearance rack. Way less money, and right away, you can see if she will wear clothes. If she does fine with them, order the good ones.

Do I need to get the doggie sweaters if I have gotten rid of the problem roos? Sheldon, (the only remaining named chicken) is a nice roo to the girls.... I have around five with missing feathers, only one has both missing feathers & broken feathers. I feel so bad when I see her. Her feathers grew back over last winter, then it happened again this summer... The girls are loving only having one roo! I will feed the girls extra protein, any particular type of cat food?
sickbyc.gif

theresa

I treat them to a mix of about 1/4 cup Poultry Conditioner pellets mixed into their daily BOSS treat. You may be surprised just how quickly their feathers grow back now that they're roo-free. I think the secret is to up their protein any way you can. My little feathered velociraptors also devour a roasted chicken carcass about once a week for extra meat protein - delicately, of course!

BOSS is shorthand for black oil sunflower seeds. They're different from spits. You can get them almost anywhere they sell bird feed. They're high in protein and fun for them to scratch around for.
Edited to add: They are also dry, not messy, and don't stink!!
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I think I will get the two worse hens the shirts..... I don't think DH will help me get them on! I truly appreciate your help! thank alot, Theresa
PS: I will take pictures & show them to you after I get them on, I won't be going to Walmart until the weekend!
smile.png

I got them on the clearance rack for $5.00 each. Good to have under any circumstances. I still wonder what happened the day one of my girls came home without her dress on!

Back
Top Bottom