Help! found rabbit in yard. She's having babies now, what to do???

celebrate.gif
We need pictures.

Don;t be messing with mummy becasue she may turn on and eat the babies. Please try not to disturb her too much and certainly Never handle the tiny babies as your scent on them could make mummy bunny turn on them.

She will do a great job just give her a safe place and leave her alone to do her thing. As long as she has food and a proper water bottle she should be fine. We have had baby rabbits. 5 from our girl but you have loads Pics please!!!!!!!!!

Oesdog
lol.png

Oh meant to say they can reproduce from a very young age from about 6-8 weeks ! You might want to get a Vet to sex them once they are 6 weeks old and try to put the boys seperate. Otherwise well - they breed like RABBITS and you sure got a breeder!!!!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
6-8 weeks? You should leave the babies with mom till 6-8 weeks, never had an issue. Most rabbits hormones kick in at 4-6 months. We seperate at 8 weeks to get them away from mom and then sell them. Then by 3 months they are seperated by sex if not sold yet. I have never had one go into heat or show signs of mating at 12 weeks.

Also you should leave the kits alone just look/not touch you will be able to tell if any passed from movement. Make sure to remove any of them that pass. 9 is a big litter so don't feel like you did something wrong if you lose a couple crossing my fingers they all make!!

After the first week we touch ours to make sure everything appears normal. Just watch mom and see how she is acting, our 2 doe's know and trust us, just feel it out.

thumbsup.gif
Rabbits are very easy keepers, but they can and do sometimes eat their young-and it doesn't always depend on whether you handle them or not. Some rabbits just aren't good mothers.
hu.gif
I would avoid touching the kits for a few days to a week, however, just to give her a good chance to take care of them without interference. Good luck!
big_smile.png

I thought that bunny was preggers the first time you posted but didn't want to say anything. Lol. Good luck!

Is it a wild rabbit? I am assuming it is a random domestic rabbit, but if it's wild you should have left it alone. From what I've read they need a nest box with hay and newspaper, but I don't know too much about rabbits.

Back
Top Bottom