help! found wood duckling (i think)

Thanks for the replies everyone! I don't make it online as frequently as I'd like right now, so please forgive my slowness. I'm really not sure is Bubbles is a boy or a girl. I figured the only way I'd be able to know for sure was wait until it was older and see. We have made necessary changes to our schedules to accommodate all our furbabies. (How do I add all my pets names to my profile?) Duckling seems incredibly content and I'm beginning to have more confidence in what we're doing. Duckling is very 'at home' here. It eats lots, is having supervised swimming and cuddle sessions after. I keep reading all I can get my hands on so I can do right by the little thing. The warden told me wood ducks and mallards look very similar when young, and with all the reading I've done, I was almost certain its a wood, but I will take a photo and post one of it as of today and if anyone knows for sure what breed it is, that's great! Thanks again all!

Sorry for the double post, continue the insect diet, it does wonders!!! XD  You may also try finely chopped meat and greens soaked in curd (probiotics).   Claps for being a good momma!!

Thank you! I'm trying my hardest and sure love the little thing a lot! =D

I looked at the album and, im no duck expert, but that looks like a mallard to me. i know wood ducklings have much smaller beaks, and the eye stripe does not come in front of the eye, it just comes off the back. Your duckling has a stripe that goes completely through the eye. look up some pics of mallard ducklings and wood ducklings and you'll see what i mean. Good luck with Bubbles!!!
big_smile.png

That looks like a mallard. That's what mine are. If you are going to keep it, you need game bird starter feed - do not feed chicken/chick feed. :)

Thanks everyone! Bubbles (the mallard..lol) is doing very well! I can believe how quickly they grow. He's almost got his first set of feathers in now. I read that he'll molt again around 4 months old and get his/her adult feathers. Looking forward to finding out if its a he or she ;) thanks again!

You can do the ring and thread method to determine the sex, lol. And this is coming from a molecular biologist. Well, I've seen it work. My Aunt will always use this method to find out the sex of little birds.

Yeah, the ring and thread isn't that accurate... My last duckling that an 'experienced' sexer with the ring and thread method got it wrong. And it swung pretty hard suggesting the male, and it grew up into a beautiful hen! Not that it really matters that much finding out what the sex is at the young age... I've seen it be wrong more than once

Back
Top Bottom