1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help!! four unknows!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FarmerJoe411, Sep 17, 2011.

1. FarmerJoe411

FarmerJoe411 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    This lot was given to me, and are supposedly all hens. also came with a Minorca roo and a black and while Hamburg. all should be about the same age. i cannot for sure identify these four. so far ive guessed that "LBB" - New Hampshire Red, "Spanky" - a Australorp, and "Egg" a Delaware hen (not for sure b/c she has that specked collar around her neck). but i HAVE NO IDEA what Butch is, especially she has the mane-like feathering around her/his neck! help!

[​IMG]
    "Spanky"

[​IMG]
    "LBB"

[​IMG]
    "Butch"

[​IMG]
    "Egg"

*can take more pics if nessacary

2. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    Butch could be a Guy, but i dont know... the rest are Girls, i think... [​IMG]

3. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    LBB looks like a sexlink and Butch looks like EE.Not sure about Spanky but I believe you may be right about Egg. I was thinking they all look like pullets.

4. FarmerJoe411

Sep 17, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    not to sound ignorant but what is an EE [​IMG]

5. loot4louie

loot4louie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Ringoes NJ
    EE means easter egg, could lay eggs of blue, green, pink, brown shades. Pretty blue girl. I have a blue orp and a blue jersey giant/isa brown cross that look similiar. The brown is probably a production layer as stated above- Pretties birds- enjoy you eggs!!

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Easter Egger. What a lot of people call Americaunas but are actually mutts that lay colored eggs [​IMG]

7. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Spanky's not black enough to be a BA. I'd say a she's a blue something.

LBB looks more like a Red Sexlink, and a pullet.

Butch is an EE pullet. With the green legs and pea comb looks like you'll be getting green/blue eggs from her one day.

Egg is a Delaware pullet.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:x2 Right on the dot.

But again, green legs do NOT mean green/blue eggs. Ameraucanas have slate legs and lay blue eggs. . . Some EE's have yellow legs and lay blue/green eggs. Leg color means nothing.

9. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Quote:x2 Right on the dot.

But again, green legs do NOT mean green/blue eggs. Ameraucanas have slate legs and lay blue eggs. . . Some EE's have yellow legs and lay blue/green eggs. Leg color means nothing.

I thought if an EE had both the colored legs and the pea comb then they'd lay the colored eggs. I've read that in lots of places on here... That's why I said that. But you know more about EEs than I do -- I've only had mine about 5 months! [​IMG]

10. FarmerJoe411

Sep 17, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    i will have to get a better picture of spanks, she is definetly head hen though! and weird thing is that she has very very small, thin spurs. almost like a really small thorn. but im pretty sure shes a hen (she is best friends with the rooster)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by