Help fox attack!

jodirednose

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 29, 2012
This is my first time on any forum so be kind!
Anyway on Sunday it's now Thursday my chickens got attacked by a fox it killed 5 but one was still alive. I went to feed them in the morning, noticed the feathers so I just left the shed for my BF to sort out later, 15 hours later we found the living chock! Owe! however she's got a large ish bite on her back under her wing and is breathing funny, she breathes with closed beak most of the time but will suddenly jump up and open her beak to breath. She is in the house and is drinking but hasn't eaten a thing- I've just tried her with yoghurt. I'm not so concerned about her wound its more the breathing. Anyone got any good advise?

Since she's survived since Sunday, I'd say whatever you are doing is going alright. Keep offering her soft food. How about cooked egg?

I've just tried more yoghurt she seems to be eating that but it's literally a fingernail size amount. I will try egg but she seems to be having problems with solid food. How long can they live with no food? I hope she survives, it's become a bit of a mission now. My house is very cold (like 12c) so I've just put her under a heat lamp. My boyfriend says I've got til the weekend to decide whether to put her out of her misery or not. Not sure if she's in pain or not.

I had a fox attack yesterday, he killed 4 hens and seriously wounded 2 rooster (3 year old and a 6 month old). I have my 2 isolated from the rest of the girls, mine are breathing and walking ok, they have open wounds on their backs. I have mine on a special diet, egg, some warm oatmeal and some yoghurt when I get to the store. I'm not quite sure what to do either, mostly worried about their open wounds. Does anyone know if you have to clean them? I'm afraid of making them worse.

The reason I'm not so worried about the wound is because I have this purple antibacterial spray which I've sprayed on and it's looking very good. You can get it from countrywide it's actually for livestock but is doing a great job. I didn't clean it, I just sprayed it on -that's what a farmer said to do- as for the eating she won't eat by herself I have to feed her bit by bit but I can't do this very often because of work as it is a very long process. Are yours eating ok? I really recommend the purple spray it's well worth it. Let me know how you get on.

They both have open wounds where you can see the muscle, i've read mixed reviews on that spray and using it on that type of wound. They are both walking eating drinking just find, my old guy was even crowing this morning my younger one hasn't started to crow yet. I've seen them stretch and flap their wings like nothing ever happened. I haven't seen them pick at themselves (yet), I've decided to let nature take it's course and do a wait and see. But the moment they start acting sickly or look like they are in pain I will consider putting them down, but if they want a fighting chance I will give it to them. I know my decision might upset others but it's my flock and I will decide what's best for them, and I apologize in advance if they don't agree.

Is yours walking around ok? At least drinking water on her own? Have you seen your fox back around? I have a live trap set out but no luck yet.

I found this last night, mostly for the wounds on my birds but there is a bit in there about adding kitten chow for extra protein, maybe you can try?

"Since cell structure requires protein, I recommend that during the course of treatment, you boost the bird’s protein by adding Purina KITTEN Chow to a manufactured feed, and drop all treats (they tend to dilute the overall protein level of the entire diet)."

http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/cell.htm

Yes I agree, I am waiting til Sunday and if she's no better I will get the farmer to put her down. I used to have two lambs and one had maggots eating her tail a d the farmer sprayed her with purple spray. I asked him about wounds and he said it shouldn't matter how deep they are because it's only antibacterial spray so it won't do harm but obviously that's up to you. The only problem with a open wound is they can get maggots etc if there living outside with no protection from bugs. It's a tough one I'm having a right chicken dilemma. Mine layed a egg in Monday which was very bizarre. I hope she cheers up soon!

Yes she is drinking, I think this is why she is still alive. She can walk but she sleeps all the time so doesnt walk about. No sign of the fox but it did kill my chickens and a wild rabbit. I think it's because of the flood water so mr fox was starving it ate one chicken in the pen and took one with him. My house is surrounded by fields so i think i would be fighting a loosing battle By setting a trap theres just too many. I will definitely try the kitten chow, if I didn't have to hand feed her TINY bits at a time it wouldn't be so bad, she seems to enjoy the food when I force feed her. My friends keep asking me why I'm bothering to do all this for one chicken!!

Update on the chook! She is still alive and drinking but only eating when I force feed her. She doesn't seem to have great balance so I'm wondering if I'm fighting a loosing battle! Fox has just been back for seconds so we e just sent the dogs out on him. It was a huge fox too.

Back
Top Bottom