Help from someone in sexing salmon faverolles?

james hill

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 24, 2012
Rural Louisiana
I know you are supposed to be able to tell the sex of salmon faverolle chicks by wing color/pattern. Could someone help me with it? I am thinking male, possibly female, female, female in order of the pics. These are hatchery chicks. (Sorry for the picture quality...I can try for better if needed).

You'll have to wait until they start to get body feathers. Some of the hatchery pullets can be dark, and some of the males can be light, so it's not as easy to tell by the wing feathers.

Now that my faverolle chicks are a week older, I can see what you mean about the body color coming in. Two of the four are definitely female, and one is definitely male. One remains a mystery to me for now...its feathers are lacy looking, with both salmon and grayish-black. Will try to post a pic tomorrow (when I try out the DIY lightbox I am building to use for my chicken photography!).

Now that my faverolle chicks are a week older, I can see what you mean about the body color coming in. Two of the four are definitely female, and one is definitely male. One remains a mystery to me for now...its feathers are lacy looking, with both salmon and grayish-black. Will try to post a pic tomorrow (when I try out the DIY lightbox I am building to use for my chicken photography!).

Here is a picture of the mystery-sex faverolle chick. To me, it looks more like an EAGLE than anything! LOL. So what do you think--male or female?

I know that sometimes Hatchery Fav Pullets have dark "male-like" coloring, but it is usually on the beard and neck/breast. With that many dark feathers everywhere on his/her body I'm going to guess that you have a cockerel. I would keep it for a at least a couple weeks longer just to be sure though
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom