Help! Frostbite taking over my hens feet

Sorry about the late reply. Sages right leg is quite a bit shorter because the frostbite took more on that leg. She has some trouble learning how to walk again because her legs are uneven lengths but she’s getting ahold of it. The hardest part of her journey for me was when her feet turned black, all I could do was worry and hope she would recover. After her foot fell off I found things only got better. The healing process is long but it’s worth it in the end. I hope Johnnys recovery goes well 🙂
No worries! It is great to hear how Sage is learning to walk again and super encouraging to see her stumps 🙂 I was wondering if part of her leg (including the bone!) had come off with one of her feet and I see it looks like that's the case. We're at the "black, shriveled, will it ever fall off?!" stage here, but I can see the stump growing at the some time.

Attachments

• PXL_20220219_195204191.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220219_195204191.MP.jpg
    504.6 KB · Views: 10
No worries! It is great to hear how Sage is learning to walk again and super encouraging to see her stumps 🙂 I was wondering if part of her leg (including the bone!) had come off with one of her feet and I see it looks like that's the case. We're at the "black, shriveled, will it ever fall off?!" stage here, but I can see the stump growing at the some time.
Yes the bone did come with it. I remember a small part of maybe bone or muscle tissue was keeping the dead foot/leg attached to her stump for a little while. When the foot fell off I was able to see what happed inside the dead foot (where the bone was and how everything was black and dried). Your roo is looking really good compared to how Sage was!
84DE525F-EFE4-454C-B701-6FDC06F74990.jpeg

I just read this thread. It's so heartwarming.
I'm sorry she lost her feet, but she's got such a caring and kind owner who has cared for her through the whole process without giving up on her. Well done @Emilyrose974 for caring for her so well.
She looks so sweet.

I've heard about chicken prothstetics on etsy. Maybe you can check if there are any feet?
Not sure where you're located but here's an example:
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1032571370/foot-splint-for-chickens-with-missing

What a beautiful boy. He looks quite healthy (apart from the foot). You're doing a good job

I was just thinking there should be a thread where frostbite and amputation chickens join together and people can get advice about prothstetics.

I just read this thread. It's so heartwarming.
I'm sorry she lost her feet, but she's got such a caring and kind owner who has cared for her through the whole process without giving up on her. Well done @Emilyrose974 for caring for her so well.
She looks so sweet.

I've heard about chicken prothstetics on etsy. Maybe you can check if there are any feet?
Not sure where you're located but here's an example:
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1032571370/foot-splint-for-chickens-with-missing
Awe thank you. I couldn’t give up on her cause she wouldn’t give up on me. She’s a real fighter. I’ve thought about getting her prosthetic feet but I decided against it since she’s already teaching herself to walk on her stumps. If I throw feet on her she’ll have to learn all over again. I’m thinking I’ll just create something to lengthen her one leg so that they are even 🤔

Awe thank you. I couldn’t give up on her cause she wouldn’t give up on me. She’s a real fighter. I’ve thought about getting her prosthetic feet but I decided against it since she’s already teaching herself to walk on her stumps. If I throw feet on her she’ll have to learn all over again. I’m thinking I’ll just create something to lengthen her one leg so that they are even 🤔
Even a small thimble could work I think

Just wanted to pop in and say that our rooster has now shed his foot! He is left with his good leg and a relatively healed stump that he is using to limp around on. I am choosing to not wrap the stump unless it seems necessary. He has not been in the mood to pose for photos but I snapped a photo of his foot/leg, which I think is a good reference for anyone else going through chicken frostbite!

Attachments

• PXL_20220304_131433454.jpg
    PXL_20220304_131433454.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom