1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!! garlic sprouted, now what?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by mener6896, Jan 11, 2010.

1. mener6896

mener6896 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I'm in frozen Indiana (zone 6) and I thought I would try planting garlic. I searched everywhere and all seed catalogues were all sold out. Just for fun, I planted the garlic I bought at Sam's club, I knew it probably wasn't a good variety, and certainly not planting garlic. But it sprouted within 4 days!! I was hoping it was a stiff neck variety.

Now that it's sprouted, I'm not sure what to do now. do I continue to grow in the little biodegradeable pots they are in indoors? We seriously have like 6" of snow on the ground.

I was going to have my garlic in a raised bed, should I buy dirt to put it in and move them outside?

I also posted this on the Easy Garden website, but I think more people are on here. I'm trying to find something to do other than stare at my eggs that are hatching!! [​IMG]

2. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Hmmm.... I planted garlic for the first time this fall. I put mine directly in the garden beds. They say (in our area) to plant them in the fall and they'll sprout in the spring. I'm not sure what you should do with yours since they're sprouted. I'd say try to wait till spring and then transplant them. That's just a guess though.

3. seismic wonder2

seismic wonder2 I got mad ninja skills

Feb 3, 2007
    san diego ca
    keep them where they are for another three weeks or so then transplant to a larger pot.
    water and feed like normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by