HELP GAVE INJECTION IN WRONG SPOT

Blesser

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 1, 2010
Please help, I gave my hen injectable Penicillin in the wrong spot, suppose to be in breast muscle. I accidently gave it to her to far to the side, under her wing. It looks like a mass of penicillin under the skin, what do I do? Should I just leave it and hope it reabsorbs or should I remove it now with another needle? Please respond asap, waiting for your replies.

sorry to sound impatient but I'm sweating and freaking out right now, please someone respond.

edit- it won't move when I massage it, it's the size of a quarter.

Last edited:
Although I have only been at the chicken business for less than 2 months, I've been an RN for 37 years. Leave it there and it will absorb - In people we do give some shots under the skin - so it seems to me like the same principle would apply. Your hen should get the Penicillin. If you have to give it again, look for the biggest part of muscle mass to inject into. I don't know how long the needle is that you are using, but since you have to inject into the breast muscle - I'd stay away from where the heart might be - same general area as us - left breast side - good luck

Although I have only been at the chicken business for less than 2 months, I've been an RN for 37 years. Leave it there and it will absorb - In people we do give some shots under the skin - so it seems to me like the same principle would apply. Your hen should get the Penicillin. If you have to give it again, look for the biggest part of muscle mass to inject into. I don't know how long the needle is that you are using, but since you have to inject into the breast muscle - I'd stay away from where the heart might be - same general area as us - left breast side - good luck

I can't inject it again, don't want to overdose. I injected yesterday in the left today in the right, you alternate so it doesn't get sore. This never happened to me before, it just that this hen is skinny and I thought I was injecting in the breast but I was not. It just not under the skin it like a lump under the skin the size of a quarter, I'm scared right now because of the size of the lump.

edit- forgot to tell you thank you, I really appreciate your response.

Last edited:
It sounds like you have given what amounts to a subcutaneous injection. Not ideal, but generally not fatal either. It may do some minor skin damage, but it shouldn't matter in the long run. Next time aim for the thigh or the breast and rotate your injection sites.

Good luck.

It sounds like you have given what amounts to a subcutaneous injection. Not ideal, but generally not fatal either. It may do some minor skin damage, but it shouldn't matter in the long run. Next time aim for the thigh or the breast and rotate your injection sites.

Good luck.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!! I feel so much better now, just have to change my shirt because I'm soaked in sweat, lol.

Forgot to ask. Just one quick question- how long will that lump stay there? Thanks again.

Last edited:
It should dissipate pretty quickly. In fact, as I am posting this it is probably gone.

Back
Top Bottom