Help get Ticks off Dog?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by McCord6, Nov 23, 2009.

1. I gave Ceila a bath and found that she had 4 ticks on her, 2 on belly, 1 on her chest, and 1 BIG one near her collar on the back of her neck. What is the quickest and safest way to remove TICKS? She is a hunters hound (mix breed hound). All 4 ticks are pretty big but one is REALLY big! I want to get them off ASAP. Hubby is at work so it's only me that can do it.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  2. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    I just use a pair of pliers and pull them off as close as I can get to the head. Then dispose of them, I flush. We have a special pair of pliers just for this task, called "Tick Pullers". LOL Good luck, I know this is not a fun task.

3. Quote:this is the same thing I used to do. But since we got the guianas. this past summer no dogs had any ticks. Fleas yes, but I use Dawn dishwashing detergent to bath them than spray with adams flea spray. these are both big problems almost anywhere.Also you might put some peroxide on the places you remove the ticks to disinfect that spot. marrie

4. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    You can get a cotten ball dipped in alcohol or peroxide and wet the head of the tick where it is stuck. should release
    and i put in a cup of clorax and then flush. I feel for you. we had ticks in PA but since we have moved to Colorado
    i have not seen any. DO NOT MISS THEM!

5. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Our vet sells a tick remover for about $2. It's the shape of a measuring tablespoon with a notch cut into it. You slip the notch between the skin and the tick and the spoon pulls the whole tick out - head and all - every time (unless it's too buried).

6. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Tick remover shampoo works well. You can pull them off with tweezers, but if you don't get the head, it can get burrowed down in and cause an infection. So be sure to disinfect if you go this route. If you light a match and blow it out, you can touch it to the tick and it should let go. Just be very careful not to get the dog. When it lets go, grab it with the tweezers or with a napkin and flush it. This is how mom always got rid of them on my cousins and myself. You get them all the time out in the country. Our chickens are good at keeping the population down though. [​IMG]

7. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Slop Vaseline (petroleum jelly) on the ticks. It will drown them, and when they're dead you can pull them off. [​IMG] (YES, I've done it.)

8. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    As a Vet Tech, I can tell you that pulling them straight out (i.e. do not twist) with a needlenose pliers does the job just fine. You can "get them to release" using a match or whatever but it is not necessary. 99% of the time if you pull straight out the head comes out with the body and does NOT stay buried and cause an infection.

9. mekasmom

mekasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    If you simply put some Frontline or Advantage on her, the ticks will fall off within a few hours. And she won't get more for several weeks. Frontline works better in my opinion, but it depends on the tolerance of the parasites in your area. My dogs never get ticks because we keep them covered with flea stuff all the time.

10. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    I hate ticks and fleas....I'm going to be putting some sevin spray down at the beginning of april in an attempt to keep both at bay next year. We do the same as everyone else....pull them off. I usually save them for a month or so 'just in case' .....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by