Help! Getting pecked and pecking herself - BLEEDING

@micstrachan, do you think it would be a good idea to give her a warm-water soak and see if she can get that crusty stuff off? Maybe put a little Dawn dish soap in the water?
Yes, probably, but it may depend on how seep the wound goes. Minimally, I’d be gently squirting at it with warm, slightly soapy water for starters. @LaurenThompson, what do you have on hand? Also, how is her behavior? Does she seem distressed or lethargic?

If you have a basin or some kind of tub, a good soak is probably going to be easier on her than you trying to wipe or scrub her with a washcloth, since you can't see what's under there. The water only needs to be deep enough for her to sit in and she should tolerate it fairly well. Try to soften that scab or whatever it is gently and see what the damage is. She's not lethargic, right?

Looks like it's a wound of some sort.
I would flush it really well with Chlorhexidine, Betadine or Saline. Warm soapy water if you don't have any of those. Rinse well, trim the feathers away from the wound and take some photos.
Apply triple antibiotic ointment like original Neosporin or store brand.

I don't really see any maggots in the photos, but when you clean her up look for any that may be there. Also look for evidence of lice or mites while you have her.
I would not put her back with the flock just yet. Place her in the cage so you can tend to her.

She may have just been picking at the wound because it's itching or painful. Watch to see if she's picking at it after you clean her up.

Back
Top Bottom