Help! Getting pecked and pecking herself - BLEEDING

Yes, probably, but it may depend on how seep the wound goes. Minimally, I’d be gently squirting at it with warm, slightly soapy water for starters. @LaurenThompson, what do you have on hand? Also, how is her behavior? Does she seem distressed or lethargic?
She’s very “hyper” but when I put her in the cat carrier she calmed down. She was going after the other hens (we have 5)
I applied ‘dakins’ solution minimally and put her back in the carrier. It seems the actual bleeding has stopped.
she’s a very uppity bird to begin with. She doesn’t do well being handled at all and I’m worried about stressing her out too.

Looks like it's a wound of some sort.
I would flush it really well with Chlorhexidine, Betadine or Saline. Warm soapy water if you don't have any of those. Rinse well, trim the feathers away from the wound and take some photos.
Apply triple antibiotic ointment like original Neosporin or store brand.

I don't really see any maggots in the photos, but when you clean her up look for any that may be there. Also look for evidence of lice or mites while you have her.
I would not put her back with the flock just yet. Place her in the cage so you can tend to her.

She may have just been picking at the wound because it's itching or painful. Watch to see if she's picking at it after you clean her up.
I appreciate that. Thank you !

I defer to @Wyorp Rock. She is far more experienced and knowledgeable than I. You can certainly trust anything she tells you, @LaurenThompson!
Looks like it's a wound of some sort.
I would flush it really well with Chlorhexidine, Betadine or Saline. Warm soapy water if you don't have any of those. Rinse well, trim the feathers away from the wound and take some photos.
Apply triple antibiotic ointment like original Neosporin or store brand.

I don't really see any maggots in the photos, but when you clean her up look for any that may be there. Also look for evidence of lice or mites while you have her.
I would not put her back with the flock just yet. Place her in the cage so you can tend to her.

She may have just been picking at the wound because it's itching or painful. Watch to see if she's picking at it after you clean her up.

Yes, stress can be s problem. If you gently wrap her in a towel so she can’t flap her wings, lay her an her side and loosely cover her head, she may calm down so you can get a better look. Can you tell if her actual vent is damaged? Is she a laying hen? I really think you need to moisten up that dried blood, especially if it’s on her vent. Do you have antibiotic ointment, like neosporin? If not, you might need to get creative and see what you have in the kitchen. Honey, especially manuka honey, can be great for wound care. Do you know yet if she’s drinking and eating?

She’s very “hyper” but when I put her in the cat carrier she calmed down. She was going after the other hens (we have 5)
I applied ‘dakins’ solution minimally and put her back in the carrier. It seems the actual bleeding has stopped.
she’s a very uppity bird to begin with. She doesn’t do well being handled at all and I’m worried about stressing her out too.
Dakins solution is fine.
Once you get her rinsed well, then get some more photos so we can see how much damage.
Looks like a White Leghorn, they can be aloof, but once you handle them for a bit usually they will calm some.

Any idea if you have a predator lurking? Dog or fox? My first thoughts is a bite to the rear end.

Dakins solution is fine.
Once you get her rinsed well, then get some more photos so we can see how much damage.
Looks like a White Leghorn, they can be aloof, but once you handle them for a bit usually they will calm some.

Any idea if you have a predator lurking? Dog or fox? My first thoughts is a bite to the rear end.
I thought dog bite too, but OP said her coop and run are secure. Canids often start at the vent.

Back
Top Bottom