Help: Getting rid of Raccoons

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by awalters0815, Sep 30, 2011.

1. awalters0815

awalters0815 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Plainfield, IN
    I have lost 5 hens in the last week. I thought I had the coop well sealed after the first attach, but they keep getting past my defenses. I am going to build a new coop this winter and also put new doors on the old coop in the meantime. Is there anything else I can do. Has anyone had luck with the light repellants or traps or anything? Please help.

2. OwlLover

OwlLover Alaskan Wanderer

Aug 25, 2011
    Raccoons can reach through chicken wire. Try using hardware cloth.

3. bluestar.ranch

bluestar.ranch Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    Belville Tx
    Quote:********************************************************************************************************************************************

Well I suffered through this for 3 years coons and bobcats.. this stopped them cold.. moneyback guarantee.. i even had 7 layers of wire.. nothing worked.. I am sorry for your loss.. [​IMG]

Contact : http://www.niteguard.com/pages/Home/ a solar powered red flashing light that mimics a predators eyes SCARES off night preditors. You can also purchase a cheap $1 version that requires batteries... at ACE hardware.. but this one is best.. Good luck and surround your coop soon. [​IMG]

4. ranit

ranit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    I used to have problems with raccoons before getting a dog. Always had good luck catching them in a trap. I used a live trap as we have a lot of neighbor cats and didn't want to harm them. I baited with eggs, tuna, catfood, sardines - all seemed to work well. Of course, we did catch some cats too.

5. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    You need half in. hardware cloth they'll tear through chicken wire. You can try havahart traps just stke them down and bait with peanut marshmallows and sardines. Good luck!

Brian

6. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    PolishSilkes45: I have hardwire on my coop (1 wall) which us 1 x 3 inches. I am planning on adding a layer of chicken wire over this so they can't reach in-do you think this will work/is a good idea?

7. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I would recommend getting nite guard and set it up in raccoon height, but if they continue killing your chickens then you have the right to shoot them or live trapping them

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  8. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I got rid of mine by putting off some firecrackers when they were in my backyard. My chickens sleep in the hen house at night anyway so the racoons can't get to them.

9. Alas

Alas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Covington, LA
    We put out our two live traps once a week. We usually relocate the animals we catch. Raccoons will go for tuna, canned cat food, etc. You have to make sure an anchor the trap. I've had them roll the traps to shake the food out. You can put the food in a baggy with holes in it or the foot of a pair of pantyhose and tie it up off the ground to try to keep the ants to a minimum. Disguise the trap a bit with some leaves or pine needles. Be really careful if you intend to relocate. They will grab you through the cage if they can. Possums will scoot away from you usually. Raccoons will attack.

The hardwire mesh is a good solution to keep them out of the coop. It also is needed to keep out weasels. Weasels can get in through a 1" gap and they'll kill every living thing in the coop and leave it for you to find in the morning. I speak from experience.

10. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    conibear traps work well too no muss no fuss empty the trap and reset it a coni box is the safest way to use them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by