help goat in labor ???

jarvis

Songster
8 Years
May 12, 2011
potosi
ok .. she skiped all the nice warm weather to kid ... and decided .. to just wait till it was freezing.. ( her warm pen was being set up first thing in the morning ... but .. now shes in my kitchen .. she wont let me leave her .. (yells and whines ..) i guess she doesnt wanna be alone .. ive never had goats before .. and really dont know what to do or what to look for ... and she is huge !!!! =S anyone know what i need to be watching for .. im used to horses .. and all their labor signs ... not goats.. anyone know if they are similiar?? she is munchin hay still .. labored breathing .. i think shes having contractions .. .. help !!!!!!!!!

well I would think she would be similar to the horses and she looks like she is in a nice warm place.Maybe get some blankets or sheets down I love goats but don't have any so I was just trying to give some emotional support

Goats can grunt and groan and have labored breathing for days before they actually kid . Any discharge? How is her appetite? Don't worry too much, they generally know what to do. I had a first timer deliver twins today, no problem.:)

She sure looks cozy! Is she a solo goat, without a goaty friend? That could be why she doesn't want you to leave her, since they are herd animals.

no babies .. lol .. no discharge yet .. =( i ended up sleeping in the kitchen floor .. she isnt the only goat .. but .. she was up to a few days ago .. i got a 6 week old bottle baby .. and a female ... who is prego but not nearly as far along .. i wanted to wait for hippos kids to be a little older (after they r born) before introducing hippo and okapi (the other female ) or should i introduce the two females ? so they can be put together ..?

Once she's ready to give birth, alot of goats give a big push, stand up, walk around, lay down, push, stand up, walk around. After awhile she should get serious. Are you sure she's in labor?

Back
Top Bottom