1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help gosling hatching but huge bubble looking hooked on it.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CanChaser, Mar 17, 2012.

1. CanChaser

CanChaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2011
    Hiawatha kansas
    I have hatched lots of chicks and ducks but not geese. This little guy is almost out but I can see this red bubble thing in the bottom of its shell. I'm guessing it's filled with blood since its bright red. I don't know what to. It must have something really bad wrong with it.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I guess the little one is out by now- It could be that in moving to hatch it had ruptured a vein that was still carrying blood. Hope the little one made it out ok in the end.

3. toddreed

toddreed Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2010
    Oakland, CA
    I think that could be the yolk which continues to provide nutrients to the bird while in the last day of incubation. I would leave it attached, keep it warm, maybe leave it in the incubator and hope for the best.

4. ~GoneWild~

~GoneWild~ Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2011
    I had a chick rupture a vesel (sp?) while hatching and had a similar situation occur, with babies it could be a number of things. Maybe a prolapse of some sort, by now you should be able to tell if it's been/being reabsorbed...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by