1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Got babies Monday and I am losing one a day. What should I do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kennicuttfarms, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Kennicuttfarms

Kennicuttfarms Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Overton
    Ok,

So I ordered my chicks from Murray McMurray Hatchery. They arrived monday morning and looked great. I did everything that the package instructions said to do, dipped beaks in waterers, added small amount of sugar to the water, spread feed out and left tops off feeders so they could find the food. BUT I seem to be losing one chick a day. I don't know what to do now. I even made a soupy mash with their food and syringe fed the ones that looked like they might have needed a boost.

I am feeding medicated 18% chicken starter/grower. They are on full feed and always have fresh water ( I'm a stickler of that with all my animals). So now I am at a loss. These chicks were from the Rarest of the Rare assortment and I was really excited to see what they would be, at the rate I'm going, I am afraid I won't get to see any of them grow up.[​IMG] I have some chicks from their brown egg layers and they are doing great.[​IMG]

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    What's your brooder temp and what kind of bedding are they on?

What are the symptoms of the ones who are failing?

3. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    Are you checking for pasty butt? Just give them plain water, no sugar since that could cause the runs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by