Help ..Got dog spayed 3 days ago and..

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by zazouse, Nov 24, 2011.

1. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I just found her and my male tied.

Could she be injured from this so close after surgery?

I was not charged extra for her being in heat so i had no idea she would be now.

I have her in a kennel now to prevent any more ties but now i don't know how long to leave her in there, we just got her a few months as a rehome and she was kenneled the last 2 years because of roaming ,now she can roam all she wants but has to be locked up,i feel sorry for her,she thinks she did something wrong.

I can't get ahold of the vet at this time to ask so i came here in hopes that someone may know something about this kinda thing.

Thanks for the help and info.
    ZAZ
    [​IMG]

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Don't worry about it. She'll be fine. BTW, it takes a while for hormones to get out of the system. Maybe keep her locked up a week. Two at the most.

3. FlaRocky

FlaRocky Chillin' With My Peeps

Keep an eye on her surgery site, make sure she did not tear anything loose. Call the vet when they reopen after the holiday and check in with them. Let them know what happened. She should be ok. Just spend extra time with her, she doesn't understand what is going on with all her hormones in an uproar.

Maye

4. llrumsey

llrumsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    I agree keep an eye on her stitches and watch for blood or discharge, give her extra love and attention and her favorite treat. If you take her for a walk carry a big stick, we had to do that for our lab cross, it was just to protect her.

5. zazouse

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Thank you all soo much,
    Everything looks fine so far.

Have a great Thanksgiving all, now i got to get back to the turkey!
    ZAZ

6. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    The incision sight is on her stomach, not the 'other' end. As long as she's not roughhousing and tearing open sutures she should be just fine. There should be sutures in the muscle layer of her stomach plus the skin layer. And after 3 days they should be holding just fine and sealed together enough that they should stay tight.
    The dog is beautiful by the way. I did Pyrenees rescue for a lot of years. I can't even count the number of Pyrs I've had spayed and neutered.

7. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    I know someone who had a grump bleed out after spay surgery on the 4th day. Keep close watch on her and talk to your vet tomorrow.

8. zazouse

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Quote:Thanks Ksane,
    this makes me feel much better.

She is a wonderful dog,she actually decided to live at my daughters home here on the property once she got settled in and this was great as she keeps the wild critters away that were coming at night to feast on her cats food, i was so scared one of them was gonna get in her house at night threw the french doors could easily be pushed open if not locked and my kiddo lives by herself..

She is a wonderful guardian dog and now covers the front part of our property and keeps my peafowl off the road as they tend to deture and chase things on it like stray cats and squirrels down the road if they are crossing to get to my daughters "crazy birds"
    While i do not have any neighbors living off our road they could make it pretty fast down the half a mile road without me knowing it and get on the farm road which can be busy at times.

Have a great turkey day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by