HELP!! Gotta kill me some ducks

jsnarredondo

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 12, 2011
I have two male Pekins that we're raising for food and they're getting pretty big and I'm going to be very particular about how I kill them. I'm already attached to them, big surprise, and I want it to be as quick and painless as possible. How quick do they die if I were to use a killing cone? Do they freak out? I would imagine so. I was thinking maybe just chop their head off with an axe but I'm still not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated...............Maybe i'll make a duck guillotine.

I used a feed bag with a small hole cut in the corner to stick the head out. We tried various sharp implements but I think a chopping block and axe or machete would be better. I held the bird and DH did the chopping. It is pretty quick, and since they are restrained not so much flopping.

Make the boyfriend/husband/brother/father do it LOL

wink.png

The "snap" or "English" method that my sister showed me worked great on my chickens the last couple of weeks. Hold the bird in your arms, take hold of the head, let go of the body, and give a good sharp snap on the head -- kind of like the motion you would make to whip a whip. The skull instantly separated from the spinal column/neck. There was, of course, wing flapping, but it seemed like an instantaneous loss of consciousness. Then, quickly cut off the head, and it bleeds out very nicely.

Chopping heads off with an axe is messy and if the duck/chicken gets the twitches you may bruise the meat. I would recommend just getting a large plastic vinegar bottle and cutting it on both ends. The funnel you just created will help, then get a bucket to put under it and screw it to a fence post. This will keep the bird comfortable and restricted. Cut the throat and detach the head. It's as quick as you can get and the birds are way more comfortable upside down vs. on a chopping block. Also this gives you a place to hold the duck while it bleeds out.

Hey, this is my first post.... yay!

Back
Top Bottom