help guys...

fowlman33

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 16, 2010
I got my Bobs Tuesday of this week, they all looked healthy and jumping around all over the place.....set the brood temp at 98, put food and water in with them, they started eating and all found the water. the first night I lost one chick, last night I lost 3 more
sad.png

Is this natural with Bobs, do I have my temp to high, could my food be wrong? I feel sure they have everything they need, I read the board religiously on ALL things Bobwhite prior to getting my birds....just wandering if I am doing things right ??

thanks for any input you guys can give !!!

Maybe it's just from the stress of being shipped. Also, with Bobs, you need a "boink proof" lid on your brooder. If your brooder has a hard lid, they will literally fly straight up and break their necks. I put a layer of foam on my lid, which prevents any broken necks. And also, make sure they can move in and out from under your heat source, so they don't over heat......

Just a few suggestions that come to mind!

Good luck to you!

Sharon

It is normal for survival of the fittest to be seen in a large batch of chicks. A few chicks down is normal. Do make sure the brooder is not over crowded.

I would add some chick starter to their water & make sure they have plenty of room to get away from the heat.If its to cold they will ball up & trample each other. The best way is to watch them & if their spread out their happy.If their chirping & balling up you need to change their setting. I use the Brinsea Eco 50 brooder it holds the heat evenly where as heat lamps get to hot & could possibly cook the birds.

so what should be my optimum heat setting right now....3- 4 days old ???? 98 degrees ??

i kept my birds at 93-95 for the first week, on day 7 i dropped it to 85 and kinda just kept it there till they moved outside.

Note: i have coturnix, not bobs

Just found blood specks on the dead ones......do I need to seperate some, does that tell me they are too crowded ??

I keep my brooder temps at 99F for the first 5 days. If you have Bobs over crowded they will start pecking. How much protein is in their starter feed?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom