Help... handicapped duckling?

Kayla_mason96

Hatching
Jun 2, 2020
So I’m new here and I have used this website a lot for insight with my ducklings. I now have a really serious question that I can’t find info on. I had a duckling born with deformed legs. As far as I can tell I cannot correct them. The joint is almost fused together and it hurts her (I think) when I had tried to straighten them out. I’m prepared to adapt for her and do everything I can to give her a chance at life but I’m really looking for some help and suggestions.
Ps. She is eating and drinking. Sometimes on her own and sometimes with assistance and a dropper. She was born 6/1/2020
ABFACED6-BF3A-4660-8B4A-3B126472CA35.jpeg

Poor little thing. Are both legs like this? It looks like perosis, or slipped tendon. It will be very difficult for her to get around.

Yeah it’s both legs. I made her a little contraption with a plastic toy skateboard and velcro. I used the Velcro yo belt her onto the board. She uses her beak and wings to push herself. I named her flipper. She gets around okay with the “wheelchair” but I’m worried about quality of life. She will have to live in our house and I know that’s not ideal but I can’t imagine her having a proper life outside. Ugh I’m conflicted about what to do.

Yeah it’s both legs. I made her a little contraption with a plastic toy skateboard and velcro. I used the Velcro yo belt her onto the board. She uses her beak and wings to push herself. I named her flipper. She gets around okay with the “wheelchair” but I’m worried about quality of life. She will have to live in our house and I know that’s not ideal but I can’t imagine her having a proper life outside. Ugh I’m conflicted about what to do.
It can be tough to decide what's best sometimes. :hugs

I recently had a duckling pip at the wrong end of the egg, and hatch anyways with curled toes on both feet, and perosis in one leg. I flattened the toes, so she ended up with one good leg. She went to her new home with her siblings and is still getting by, but is about 40% smaller than they are. Her new family celebrated her getting up the ramp for the first time just yesterday.

I feel like I owe it to her to do the best I can to give her a life but I’m worried about the quality of life she will have. It’s just a tough decision I guess.

I feel like I owe it to her to do the best I can to give her a life but I’m worried about the quality of life she will have. It’s just a tough decision I guess.
It is. I don't envy you! Personally, I think both legs being deformed will make her life very difficult, including not being able to swim at all.

So I’m new here and I have used this website a lot for insight with my ducklings. I now have a really serious question that I can’t find info on. I had a duckling born with deformed legs. As far as I can tell I cannot correct them. The joint is almost fused together and it hurts her (I think) when I had tried to straighten them out. I’m prepared to adapt for her and do everything I can to give her a chance at life but I’m really looking for some help and suggestions.
Ps. She is eating and drinking. Sometimes on her own and sometimes with assistance and a dropper. She was born 6/1/2020View attachment 2174262
First things first, I am really happy that you are so willing to find a way for her! The skateboard wheelchair is a stroke of pure genius. Please please please get a video of it! It makes my heart happy to picture it!

I know you have a hard decision to make; that really sucks. Ultimately it should come down to what works for you. If you have the desire, time, resources to help; go for it! If not, that’s ok.

Personally I would wait and see how she does. If it wasn’t working out (from health or sanity), I’d know that I gave her the best shot and could make my peace with that.

Again it’s 100% your call. I’m sure each one of us here wouldn’t hold either outcome against you. I know I won’t.:hugs

Thank you for the supportive words!
She is 6 days old now and thriving! She is somewhat eating on her own but drinking isn’t going as well. I’ve tried a million times to dip her bill in the water and she doesn’t seem to want to drink. It’s not ideal or “by the book” I’m sure but I am giving her water by dropper. I’ve seen her eating her duck starter crumbles a few times but She seems thin and I’m wondering if there is some type or replacement I can give her. I’ve been mixing her crumbles with regular baby food (human baby food) and she seems to eat really good with that. I was looking for something like formula but for ducks? This is all so unusual and strange so I’ve kinda thrown out the manual and I’m winging it now.

Thank you for the supportive words!
She is 6 days old now and thriving! She is somewhat eating on her own but drinking isn’t going as well. I’ve tried a million times to dip her bill in the water and she doesn’t seem to want to drink. It’s not ideal or “by the book” I’m sure but I am giving her water by dropper. I’ve seen her eating her duck starter crumbles a few times but She seems thin and I’m wondering if there is some type or replacement I can give her. I’ve been mixing her crumbles with regular baby food (human baby food) and she seems to eat really good with that. I was looking for something like formula but for ducks? This is all so unusual and strange so I’ve kinda thrown out the manual and I’m winging it now.
I is an old thread, but I was wondering if you could possibly help me I have a little duckling and I am going through the same thing, but it is both of her legs. She is about a day old now and it’s not getting much better but she is fighting but it’s very hard for her to get around. I don’t know what to do. There’s no way that I can kill her and I know I shouldn’t say it like that sometimes it’s what’s best and I know but I have no idea how to do something like that and I work full-time so I can’t be home all day and I don’t want her to die of starvation or something like that. I know she’ll be OK for another day or so cause of the yolk but I just don’t know what to do. They are literally frozen. I try to pull them down and she just pulls them right back up in that awkward position. I’m scared to push too hard that it hurts her. I just don’t understand why it happened. her sister is totally fine. It’s just her that it’s got this problem but even trying to be positive and saying maybe I should give it a little longer by the looks of it I don’t think anytime is gonna make it better. They are really frozen. I don’t know what to do. They almost look like they might’ve not developed all the way for some reason they just flip up instead of down and her toes are still curled little by little. It looks like she’s trying to open her toes more but her little knees are frozen up the wrong way. I am new to ducklings. I just started hatching ship eggs and I’m telling you never again. It has been such a long journey and with so many different heartaches , maybe you can give me some advice I really appreciate it. It’s a call duckling about the same color as yours.

Back
Top Bottom