Help! Hard white substance inside chickens eye

kaiandchickens

Hatching
Nov 14, 2016

My cream legbar hen has a hard white substance in its eyelid, as you can see in the picture. My two chickens are my pets and I am so worried about them!
I tried to squeeze it out and then found out that it is hard and actually looks like it is growing out of its eye which has caused a lot of swelling. Also, it appeared after about a weekend. You will not believe the amount of research I have put into this so please if you have any suggestions to what it is and how I can help her please tell me.
Thank you so much
Kind regards
Kai

The hard white stuff is chicken puss. It's different from mammal puss in that it's more cheese-like... hard ricotta, even.

You've got to get that stuff out of there to see what you've got going on. If you can do a warm saline compress on her eye to soften it, that would be ideal. Grab a pair of tweezers and see how much you can get out. It may take a few sessions depending on how much your mama can handle. If you don't get it all in one go, give her and yourself a break and try again later.

She will ultimately be relieved to have that out of there, but getting to that part may be a little harrowing for everyone.

I'd guess she got pecked and it started a little infection.

See how much of that stuff you can get out and keep us posted!!

MrsB

I just took my chicken to the vet who thought it was a tumour and had her put down, this is a great loss for me and I am really upset. Here is how she looked before she went to the vets

You cannot clearly see but she had a massive swollen eye and some watery discharge. It most of all the gap between the two eyelids was very slim and here eye looked like a golf ball on the side of her face.
Was the vet right to put her down?
Thankyou

NO!
The vet was not right to put her down!
I have had that situation with my chickens before.
Remove the white stuff.
It is not that hard!
Watch the chicken.
If the white stuff is still building up you need to get some antibiotic from the vet and the chicken will be fine.
Sorry to hear that the vet already put her down.

My chicken is also a crest cream legbar and she has the same thing, her eye was so swollen that when I tried to get the puss out her eyelid, the bottom one, folded down and I popped that crap right out. I am sorry your vet made you put her down.

Hi all, I have a chicken with the same issue, she had it in both eyes, we have been bathing the eyes and one eye we were able to get all of the gunk out. Unfortunately the other eye has some stuck, I dare not pull it out in case I damage something. I tried pulling very gently but is firmly in there. Any advice would be awesome, thankyou :)

Back
Top Bottom