HELP has anyone had a blind cick?

dr8goons

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
VA
i had a chick hatch last night and it has no eyes where the eye holes are there shut you cant even see the wholes. can it surive? i dont want to kill it just because its disabled but dont want it to suffer either

Please use the search engine on this site. I read a topic just last night about a woman who raised a blind chicken. I think what I took away from it was that it did take the lady alot more time but I guess she had it to give. I don't know that I would have the time or knowledge to persevere but she did. The chicken is now a year old (I think). Good luck.

Yes - there is an inspiring story of Radar, a blind chick born without eyes who is doing well. Link provided in above post.

If you have the time needed to help your little chick, it might be worth it.

Good luck to you whatever you decide.

Thank you all for the thread its worth a try its such a cute little buger i cant help but try

I have a blind hen that was blind at birth. I have her full sister who has no problems as well. I think it was a embryo development issue. Anyway my hen is about 2 now and gets along great. I built a coop for her 4 x 8 with a roost about 6" off the floor and she roosts on it. Her dishes are heavy so she won't knock them over as she uses her feet to find her dishes. Once she finds a dish she'll peck around her till she gets water, pellets or if she gets nothing tries until she does. She knows the sound of her beak tapping each bowl. One bowl is plastic and the other ceramic. I keep them in the same place all the time. I put her out in her own little outside sunny coop on nice days and she will root around, peck the ground, sunbath and lays eggs regularly. I generally keep her on her own as the more dominant hens will peck her but my juveniles that are going out at about 3-4 months I put in with her and she adores them. They stick around her as well- when she's out in her sunny coop they hang around that. So you can keep a blind chicken but it takes extra work. She's come to know when I move her to her outside place or am giving her a treat that I'll tap the bowl or will russle her pellets so she knows I've filled her bowl so she uses her hearing too. She's a standard size hatchery chick a friend gave me. I also had a bantam blind Duccle that died when she was 8.

SP

Back
Top Bottom