HELP...Hatched but its got a bloody butt!!!

ChickLuver

Songster
11 Years
Dec 6, 2008
Walton, New York
Ok it FINALLY hatched. It felt like the LOOOngest day of my life!! So now I have a 2 hour old silkie. I just saw blood in the bator. It's coming from the butt/vent area......HELP

Last edited:
I really can't help but maybe this will keep you on the board till someone else can help. Is the blood coming from inside or outside. From the for want of a better word umbilical area? If you can see the spot maybe a styptic pensil or even flour could be placed on it to stop the bleeding. Jean

Is it still in the bator? Is it in the brooder now? If it's in the brooder, I'd take a good look at where the blood is actually coming from. Sometimes there is blood on the inside of the egg or on the bator and it could have gotten some on it that way. If you don't see anything wrong, just wipe the blood off as best you can then put it back in the brooder and just keep an eye one it. If it is bleeding profusely, there's nothing much that I know of to be done.

I am new, so hopefully some experienced people will chime in, BUT....

That happened to one of my chicks last night(!)... Hatched on her own although took quite a bit longer than the other eggs to pip, then about 16 or 17 hours from pip to zip, then about 1 1/2 hours from zip to hatch; all in all a significantly slower progression than all of the others (except for 1 remaining egg which I suspect is dead).

What I did: Pulled her from 'bator (was only risking the "suspected dead" egg, all others had hatched out), was SUPER QUICK about it anyway, "just in case" last egg viable. Temp dropped by about 1 degree, humidity by about 3% but both came right back up within 4 minutes.

Held her on my lap on a paper towel & sterile guaze pad, applied VERY GENTLE pressure to bloody area, ran a blow dryer on LOW to dry her off & keep her warm (be very careful, was still hot enough to burn her delicate skin... keep it moving & keep your hand in airflow to monitor temp!). She lost about a "quarter-sized" (on paper towel) drop with a small clot, and a couple "dime sized" drops of blood as well. Seemed like a fair amount to me for something so small (!!).

Stopped bleeding within 10 minutes or so. Weak but alert. Stronger this a.m.... Looks like she will be okay (I HOPE!!!!!).

Good luck & I hope someone else with experience chimes in !!!!!!!!!!

Suellyn....I LOVE YOU!!!!THANK YOU SOOO MUCH EVERYONE!! I dont want this lil one to not make it!! I guess I'm going to take it out and help. I hope my other eggs are ok afterwards.

Last edited:
Also: I DO think the blood on mine was coming more from the umbilical area as opposed to the vent.

Be careful with "wiping", can irritate area & knock off a clot if it is beginning to form (which is what happens when bleeding stops. Gentle pressure probably better).

Also, this may be tricky 'cause you don't want to chill the chick, but maybe if you put something cool/moist on just that area can help clot blood, stop bleeding (I didn't do this last night, but in hind sight I could have if bleeding had continued or gotten worse).

No chicken experience, but am a veterinary technician/zookeeper (literally!!!)

disclaimer: I AM NOT THERE SO IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR ME TO KNOW WHAT IS GOIN G ON!!!!!!!!

Like BeckLa said, make sure its not just smudges of blood from leftover veins in inside of egg... a LOT of mine had that, were not really bleeding. The one I intervened with was different, DEFINITELY bleeding.....

keep me posted!!!
hugs.gif

ok so I took him/her out and its NOT from a vein or anything. My mom and Dad both helped me. We put him in a cupcake holder as not wanting to touch him to much.( his name will be cupcake) So its were his ambilical cord was. I put some powder to help clot. I AM SO NERVOUS!! Thanks for the help and understanding!! He is so cute and little. I would post pics but dont know how

Did the bleeding slow down/stop? Does he/she seem alert? (baby chicks conk out/sleep alot... mine look DEAD sometimes, but does she open her eyes, raise her head, peep, stuff like that?).

Is she being kept toasty warm?

To be honest, I didn't worry about "touching her too much" mine are going to be PETS, so I don't mind if they imprint a bit on me (or my daughters), as long as gentle and keeping her calm (excited=increased blood pressure and increased potential for bleeding), I would think it should be okay. Mine actually screeched and got upset when I put her down (are social, don't like being alone), so I held her & kept her warm until bleeding stopped & she seemed okay enough to go in and snuggle with her brothers & sisters!!

"Cupcake" is a really cute name
love.gif
!!!!

PS: Did the inubator temp & humidity stay okay? How many eggs left in there? pipped yet or not? Just curious!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom