Help! Hatched Chick Bleeding?

ChickenGirl555

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 22, 2017
Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
I just woke up this morning to my final egg hatching—a late bloomer who I was going to give up on last night but actually FORGOT, and it saved it.
But when I came down the umbilical cord was still attached to the egg and chick, and I noticed blood was everywhere. As I’m typing this right now, the umbilical cord came off but everywhere it moved there was blood. It seems perfectly healthy and active, BUT THERE’S BLOOD. Should it really be concerning? The cord looks pretty bloody. It’s super hyper, and moving everywhere, so I’m hoping this is a good sign? Usually all of mine hatch clean and earlier than this (about day 24). In fact, the other egg in the incubation hatched A DAY EARLY, and was perfectly fine and happy as it could be in the brooder. We got that one some friends, too, so it wasn’t alone.
61C34187-98A9-49B0-BA87-C1319EC70081.jpeg

I just woke up this morning to my final egg hatching—a late bloomer who I was going to give up on last night but actually FORGOT, and it saved it.
But when I came down the umbilical cord was still attached to the egg and chick, and I noticed blood was everywhere. As I’m typing this right now, the umbilical cord came off but everywhere it moved there was blood. It seems perfectly healthy and active, BUT THERE’S BLOOD. Should it really be concerning? The cord looks pretty bloody. It’s super hyper, and moving everywhere, so I’m hoping this is a good sign? Usually all of mine hatch clean and earlier than this (about day 24). In fact, the other egg in the incubation hatched A DAY EARLY, and was perfectly fine and happy as it could be in the brooder. We got that one some friends, too, so it wasn’t alone.
View attachment 2672256
I really need a picture of the chick If you don't mind with all that blood it might be a detached umbilical cord which is supposed to fall off by itself when it dries off but if it comes off before they can bleed out but I don't know can you take a picture of the chick. Please

6894A951-7476-4CB1-B6D3-CACD7F0BD78A.jpeg

I think it may have only been a bloody umbilical cord. I put her with the rest and she’s doing great! Do you think the bleeding could affect her later in life/as a chick? She hasn’t bled since the cord was still attached.

Back
Top Bottom