HELP - hatching any day and poop in nest

Glad you got it all cleaned up!

I'm not sure if you've had the water this close to her throughout the brood, but one thing I learned is that it is better to put the water and food far enough away that the hen is forced to get off the nest and walk at least a short distance to drink and eat. Once completely off the nest, they generally go to the bathroom. Basically, some hens are so diligent they do not want to leave the nest at all unless they absolutely "have". Thirst is a much bigger "have to" then bathroom needs.

Anyway, it sounds like everything is under control now with this hatch, but something to think about if you have another broody.

Hope your hatch goes well. It is so much fun to watch mama hens with her chicks.

Glad you got it all cleaned up!

I'm not sure if you've had the water this close to her throughout the brood, but one thing I learned is that it is better to put the water and food far enough away that the hen is forced to get off the nest and walk at least a short distance to drink and eat. Once completely off the nest, they generally go to the bathroom. Basically, some hens are so diligent they do not want to leave the nest at all unless they absolutely "have". Thirst is a much bigger "have to" then bathroom needs.

Anyway, it sounds like everything is under control now with this hatch, but something to think about if you have another broody.

Hope your hatch goes well. It is so much fun to watch mama hens with her chicks.
I will def keep it further next time! Of course I started it off further then I felt bad bc I wanted her to drink! I should have made her but get up when she was thirsty enough! Lol

I can’t wait she is sitting on my Silkie eggs!

Try to relax and not overthink it. Most broodies are decent about keeping the nest clean but occasionally there is a bit of a mess and it's normally not a big deal. Can you reach behind her while she's sitting it and clean it out or, is nuthatched suggested, take care of it when she's getting a snack? No need to disturb the nest and move all the eggs or anything.
2 eggs have poop on them :( this is bad right?

Not necessarily. We want to avoid poop on eggs in general but they are chickens, after all. I've had chicks hatch from poopy eggs all the time. is it a thick crust or anything? Or a smear?
More smear I believe when she turns them it was rubbing the poop area

Back
Top Bottom