Help! Hatching disaster!

Zoemay

In the Brooder
Sep 26, 2017
Okay so I'm not that new to hatching but I had one chick hatch a lot earlier than everyone else, 5 were pipped and one was out. I left him in there to encourage the others to hatch and also fluff up but I came back to an absolute disaster!

Girl nextdoor tried to hatch out early! Its veins were out still and the other chick pecked at it. By the time I noticed there was a huge amount of blood, nearly a whole tissue of it and I thought for sure she was done. I held her tightly with a moist warm towel and she stopped bleeding, eventually when it was all dry I assisted her out. she's okay now but will she die on me tonight ? It was so much blood I can't imagine she'd just be okay?

When did all of this happen? Tonight?

Regardless you will simply have to wait and see with that chick.

Chickens have a incredible ability to bounce back.

I had a silkie that got attacked by a red tailed hawk and I chased it off of her.
I tried to stop the bleeding, but there was a stream that was as big as the lead in a #2 pencil.
I told my wife that we will try, but this chicken will NEVER survive loosing that much blood.

It lived just fine, and when I posted that same thing in here, I was told by multiple people the same basic thing. I don't know how they can loose so much blood, but they can.

My suggestion would be to get some water to it, and possibly mash up some food into it. I force fed mine by opening its mouth, and dripping some food/water mix into it.

Make sure it stays hydrated, even if it doesn't want too. Just make sure it doesn't get too cold.

Chickens tend to be very resilient.

Back
Top Bottom