HELP! Have I stuffed it up again?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazy chook, Jun 28, 2010.

1. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    I decided to incubate in egg cartons this time round, these are special eggs to me.

My problem is turning them. Is it enough to just push the eggs from one side to the other? Unlike the eggs on the floor those ones get turned all the way to the other side??

They are small to med size eggs so some get turned more than others

What should I do?? Please help, I need advise? Its been 3 days is it too late to do anything??? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. crazy chook

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    Anyone, I would like to know if I have stuffed this batch up or if they are ok to keep doing what I am doing??

3. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    I have seen incubator video on You Tube and those folks used egg cartons that were turned back and forth. Their eggs hatched. You might check that out for some insight.

4. crazy chook

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    Thanks, I will have a look

5. kjhowe77

kjhowe77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Broome County, NY
    This is my first time hatching and I am using egg cartons too. What I am doing is tipping the carton so one side is up at an angle, maybe 45 degrees. I marked an X on one side of each egg and spin it from pointing up to down, 3 times a day. I am not sure if this is the best way, I will find out if/when they hatch.

6. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Quote:I would worry about this with still air. Since the heat comes from the top and isn't circulating, when you tip one end of the carton up.....it would be warmer. Forced air isn't a problem though.

7. crazy chook

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    There is not enough room in my bator to lift the egg carton, so I can only turn the eggs (push them back and forth). Is that enough to stop them sticking?

My egg cartons have holes in the bottom and I have a forced air incubator.

8. Winsor Woods

Winsor Woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Cascade Range in WA
    Quote:That all depends on just how far back and forth you can push them. If you're really worried about these eggs, I'd recommend taking them out of the carton and turning in your normal way.

Dan

9. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    I'm betting it's probably not enough. If you're concerned for them then you should probably take them out and turn them normally. If you want to hatch in a carton you may want to consider making or buying an incubator that is carton-friendly.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by