Help have no clue what's going on. Semi-lethargic, no food in crop, weird green poo (images attached)

Chickenman MAN

Songster
Oct 25, 2020
United Kingdom South Devon
Hi! I have an ex-bat called Bettie, she is the tattier of the bunch but this morning I noticed she was acting lethargic. I came up this afternoon and she was stood there with her head tucked down. She had no food in her crop (all the other chickens had at least some). When she goes to eat something she does the pecking motion but stops about 2cm away from the food, she repeats this multiple times without eating any food. Poo is liquidy and solid (liquid urate, semi-solid green faeces) please see images attached. I looked down her throat, nothing strange, I also smelt her breath, nothing rancid. I noticed two bugs the other day on her face seemingly drinking her blood, I removed them with tweezers (idk if this is important), they are lice and mite free, however. They were black and decent-sized (ticks?). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
IMG_9089.jpg
IMG_9090.jpg

It could be a number of things, such as a reproductive disorder or infection, cancer, worms, or other problem. What do her pupils look like? Are they cloudy, or are her eyes the same normal color? If you have a picture of the bugs you found, that might be helpful. Lice and mites can be under the vent and elsewhere on the skin. Some mites only come out in the dark. Green poop is normally a sign that she is not eating much. A vet might be helpful to help make a diagnosis.

It could be a number of things, such as a reproductive disorder or infection, cancer, worms, or other problem. What do her pupils look like? Are they cloudy, or are her eyes the same normal color? If you have a picture of the bugs you found, that might be helpful. Lice and mites can be under the vent and elsewhere on the skin. Some mites only come out in the dark. Green poop is normally a sign that she is not eating much. A vet might be helpful to help make a diagnosis.
Her eyes look normal this morning. I don't have any images of the bugs, they were about 1mm accross and 2 mm long and black. She has eaten a bit this morning, and all of her poops are like the above ones. She is desperate to get out of her quarantine zone...

Just know that if your girl who is having these symptoms if she was saved from an egg farm or a slaughter house all birds are legally required to be vaccinated by the FDA but only if she is layer or meat bird although immunity does wear off about 5 years into their life so if she is young it rules out stuff like mareks and coccidiosis already

Just know that if your girl who is having these symptoms if she was saved from an egg farm or a slaughter house all birds are legally required to be vaccinated by the FDA but only if she is layer or meat bird although immunity does wear off about 5 years into their life so if she is young it rules out stuff like mareks and coccidiosis already
I live in the UK and vaccines are also mandatory for layer birds. She's only about 2.4 years old :)

Back
Top Bottom