HELP!!! Hawks attacking my girls

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SoCal ChickaD, Jan 17, 2014.

1. SoCal ChickaD

SoCal ChickaD Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2013
    HELP!! I live in Southern California where Hawks are very present. I live in a suburban area with 2 chickens in a small coup. My girls are about 3 1/2 months old now and I let them free range in the yard in the mornings with my supervision. After they spread their wings a little I put them in their "Peck N Play" which is a small cage with top (see picture attached). The last 2 days I have had 2 Hawks, a Coopers Hawk and today a Red Shouldered Hawk swoop down at them. Of course I am now paranoid about letting them out of the cage for a while. I don't think the Hawks can get at them in their Peck N Play but I am VERY concerned for their safety. Any help/advice is appreciated!!

[​IMG]

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I doubt a hawk could injure them in a pen like that. Free ranging would be another matter.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hawks will attempt to get them in that pen. If one of your birds flies up and puts it's head through the top wire, a hawk may very well decapitate it. As a kid I lost any number of ring necks to GHO that would get them flying at night and grab them through the wire. For a variety of reasons hawks were not a problem back in the 50's.

4. chiknhurder

chiknhurder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2014
    Cass County Missouri
    I can see a hawk turning that thing over easily. If you've never seen a hawk up close, they are a very large bird. They can easily be 24 inches high/long with a wingspan of up to 56 inches, which is almost a 5 foot wingspan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by