*****HELP******* Help****** help*** cracked egg

Fuentes Farm

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
Oakley, Ca
I accidentally put a indent on a egg thats gonna hatch in 4 days. Omg I feel so bad its the size of a pea and nothing is exposed just indented and cracked. I put melted canlde wax. Any one with experience please help!! Ty

mandymae1984

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 9, 2013
If you haven't gone into "lock down" yet where you have to leave the incubator shut I think i'd candle it just to make sure I could still see movement....I've never had one that I cracked before so I'm not really sure other than checking it before you have to close it for the last three days. As far as the melted wax being on it as long as it doesn't cover more than what is cracked it should help to seal it off. Hopefully it didn't bother it too much!

Fuentes Farm

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
Oakley, Ca
Thank you for answering not to many people seem to answer so I appreciate it : ) I also was wondering I came home from work today and my incubator was at 102.6 do you think there dead? Probably was like that for a couple hours. What happen is I think the room got warmer today.

mandymae1984

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 9, 2013
Yes I have had alot of posts that have gone unanswered like today had a chick that was lethargic and it died before I had anyone answer (not for sure anything could have been done but it makes us feel better to get different ideas of what to do! ) Mine did that a couple times so this time around if the weather was cool out that day i'd set the heat in the house for the same temp as if it was going to be hot i'd set the air instead.....in NC we never know lately if it's going to feel like winter or summer lol. I still had a pretty good hatch rate 5 out of 11 wasn't too bad. although mine we all developed and had movement but my nephews came to visit and I caught them opening the incubator several times during the lock down stage and they got "shrink wrapped" and died before they could pip. I would candle them all one last time and then lock it down and don't open it for the rest of the time. Make sure you go a head and do what is needed for the humidity to be high enough during this period though so you won't have to open it back up for that. Hope you have a great hatch!

Fuentes Farm

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
Oakley, Ca
Thank you! Sorry about your chicky : ( I heard pedialite helps for next time. I did canlde them today and I dont see any movement its just black. I cant tell : / fusterating. Is that normal to not be able to see movement tbis far along?

mandymae1984

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 9, 2013
It is harder to see at the last bc they pretty much fill up the egg besides the air space unless they have entered the air spacr already. Though some lights are bright enough at times you can see just enough to know. At this point id leave them alone and wait and see. Though most eggs should still jiggle as they are trying to pip out so you may can watch for that. I would sometimes wait til it got dark andsine my light on the eggs through the windows of my incubator it would make some of them jiggle the eggs lol. Just whatever you do at this point dont open it unless one has trouble.

Fuentes Farm

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 24, 2014
Oakley, Ca
Ok I put them in lock down today : ) exciting. Hope they hatch. One egg looks kinda funny theres a fully developed chick but I dont see a air cell like the others

mandymae1984

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 9, 2013
Hmmm not sure about no air cell I don't think I've ever seen one like that. Let me know how it's going!

Top Bottom