Help Help [email protected]!!!!!! DAY 20 BROKEN EGG!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stumble_n_mumble, Oct 21, 2010.

1. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i have a broody hen on eggs outside its day 20. and the one egg that deff has a baby in it was kick out and laying in the dirt.... i think the ducks got up there.... anyway the egg is chipped out where the air sack it .... saw the baby moving a bit.... the membrane didnt brake so i threw the egg back under broody mama..... anything i can do?!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I would just watch it and her. If it gets kicked out again, do you have an incubator?

3. stumble_n_mumble

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    no i dont own one... i try to only use broodys..... i boarded her up in the area with the eggs so its dark and she is setting on them still

4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Got my fingers cross for you! [​IMG]

5. stumble_n_mumble

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    and i know she didn't kick it out im almost positive my pekin duck went up there.

6. stumble_n_mumble

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    anyone else!?

7. stumble_n_mumble

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    ok its been about 3 hours now.... and i still see the baby inside alive... membrane hasnt broken so im guessing its ok. then once it breaks the membrane it can breath oxygen right away.... idk what else to do!

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    You're doing fine. But stop looking at the egg! The hen should be in lockdown mode, don't move her now. Every time you move her for a look she is losing humidity and temp.

Good luck, I think it'll be fine. [​IMG]

9. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I agree. The main concern is having that membrane dry out and making it more difficult for the chick to get out. Let's hope the hen can help keep it moist against her warm bare skin. And I'd suggest providing a more secure place for your hens to brood, one where no nosy hens or ducks or whatever can get in and interrupt.

[​IMG] I pray for this chick's success!

10. stumble_n_mumble

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    thank you!!! actually luckily! it has been misting all day! so the humidity is HIGH! and she isnt bare under neath shes full of feathers still lol and i will try not to peak until tomorrow [​IMG] i didnt break the membrane and im happy with the decision thank you everyone PRAY FOR HER!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by